1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Francisco Chronicle refuses to cover MMA and UFC and UFC President bashes em

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by blog415, Aug 11, 2010.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If the bible-thumpers protest pictures of two men kissing, what would they say to THAT appearing in the morning paper?

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Re: San Francisco Chronicle refuses to cover MMA and UFC and UFC President bashe

I'm glad there isn't an outcry for MMA in my area. I'd rather cover pro wrestling even though it's a work.

3. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

Dana White isn't all bad.

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/05/09/new-insurance-policy-big-news-for-ufc

4. JPsT

JPsT Member

UFC will also hand out bonuses for players who have creative tweets and/or lots of followers.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/05/11/ufc-to-offer-bonuses-to-fighters-for-tweeting/

</kindofcrossthread>

5. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

An opinion piece from the The Star-Ledger. It's by Sid Dorfman. Granted, he must be about ninety. So he is outside the age demographic that MMA normal appeals to.

http://mobile.nj.com/advnj/db_/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=cAMz7iUy&src=cat&full=true#display

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, praising (or justifying) boxing while describing MMA as being a yard too far is simply an intellectually untenable argument. Personally I like boxing. Hell, Sonny Liston is my avatar. The fact is though participating in boxing is more hazardous than participating in MMA. Well, in terms of brain injuries.

A study done by John Hopkins University, which was based on six years worth of data provided by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, found that the injuries rates in boxing and MMA are similar. MMA has roughly half the instances of brain injuries though. It's the brain injuries that give us the deaths and the severe life altering injuries, such as the one suffered by Gerald McClellan.

Also, this is patronising...

Everyone is entitled to their own personal taste. The fact is though that the standing eight count, while seeming more civilised to some, is actually one of the things that makes boxing more dangerous than MMA. Thinking otherwise shows an ignorance of the reality of combat sports.

6. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

you said it

7. dailygrind

dailygrind Member

It is amazing to me the ignorance many in our profession display when it comes to this sport. Yes, seeing Brian Stann fight Saturday was just a sign that we are going backwards. What a Neanderthal that guy is.

8. dailygrind

dailygrind Member

Simply amazing. Time to find a new line of work?

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How is it different than the ignorance many in our profession display when it comes to other sports?

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Of course, the Neanderthal tag might be appropriate when the UFC's lead color commentator can call a female writer The Word You Don't Say Around Women with no consequences.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/6/2/2203553/joe-rogan-rampage-jackson-maggie-hendricks

11. dailygrind

dailygrind Member

I do not agree with Rogan's comments or Jackson's actions. I do think that has to change. I do believe something needs to be done. That said, it really has little to do with whether or not this is a viable sport. I've seen research that suggests this is a far safer sport than boxing (and, for that matter, Nascar and even competitive cheerleading), interviewed fighters and even trained in an MMA gym. Some of the best guys you will ever meet are involved in this sport. Unfortunately, like all sports, a handful of guys shooting off at the mouth can easily overshadow that. You don't have to like MMA. You don't have to like any sport. But, it's apparent that a growing segment of the public does. Honestly, I can't stand golf. Doesn't mean I don't have my guys cover it.

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

The number of dopes and politically incorrect bigots or sexists across the board in any line of work would make your head spin. To hang two comments by two guys on an entire sport and fan base is laughably short sighted. Most actual MMA fans can't stand Rogan anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted