1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Francisco Chronicle refuses to cover MMA and UFC and UFC President bashes em

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by blog415, Aug 11, 2010.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I have no idea why people give a crap about golf or fishing or surfing either but that doesn't stop me from running stories on it.

Sports is a wide term used to describe more than just the big four, ya know.

2. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

What a difference fifteen years makes...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/02/opinion/02Zinczenko.html

3. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

On April 29, 2011 the UFC hold their first major stadium show. It's in Toronto.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dm-melzter_ufc_129_toronto_sized_show_041911

In Canada at least it should get some coverage.

4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

In the midst of the NHL playoffs that kind of national media interest from across Canada is impressive.

5. JPsT

JPsT Member

This is anecdotal, but I was up in Toronto for an event back in November and nearly everybody I talked with brought up how excited they were for UFC to come through. Apparently Ontario legalized MMA events relatively recently, and I think this will be the first major MMA event in the province.

I'm not a big fan, but MMA/UFC is going to get even bigger than it already is.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I say this in passing: If UFC is going to be really big-time, then Dana White is going to have to get over his petty grudges and act big time when it comes to access and credentials.

He's doing fine without that, of course, but full mainstream is going to be harder until he resets his memory and says, "OK, starting over with everybody."

7. Whenever I think that humanity might be making a shred of progress, I end up in a sports bar during an MMA event and see the Neanderthals cheering on this "sport" and quickly realize, "No, we're actually going backwards."

So it's helpful in that respect.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

While it's certainly true that a ton of knuckleheads and jackass meathead jock douches are buying up Tapout shirts and screaming for more blood, there is a good portion of fans of the sport who are mild mannered, typical sports fans.

To judge MMA on the meatheads is like judging the NFL on the high school football glory all-stars who hang on to that prep school wonder like it matters or judging soccer fans on the people who riot after a team loses a game or judging the NBA on the gangster wannabes rocking the throwback jerseys.

Every sport has its asshole fan base. MMA just hasn't caught on enough in mainstream America to shake the image. Yet.

9. mrbio

mrbio Member

You think boxing is the only sport with colossal corruption? HA

10. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

Toronto supershow stirs Japanese memories

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AgPmX814iDtQ5vNodvHOcdM9Eo14?slug=dm-meltzer_ufc_129_conjures_japanese_memories_042711

11. btm

btm Member

As of now, St. Pierre and Shields are on the front page of espn's site.

Sort of surprising, considering the draft and espn's love of the NBA.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If nothing else, covering MMA gives you a chance to run grotesque photos of blood-filled welts ...

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted