1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Francisco Chronicle refuses to cover MMA and UFC and UFC President bashes em

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by blog415, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

What's the backlash been for the Chronicle on this? Did readers care? I'm curious how readers responded, or if they did at all.

2. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

so, was the first roller derby event in boston historical?
    Hell, millions of people loved roller derby.
    How about the first PBA event in boston? Historical?

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hey, Roller Derby kicked ass, and don't tell Anne Carvello otherwise.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I'm guessing roller derby was covered at the time, sure. There still is a roller derby league in Providence that is covered from time to time by publications out here. And the Journal regularly does a preview and concert story for stuff like Hannah Montana; does the Chronicle? If their stance is that it's fake or fixed, then cover it like you would professional wrestling. Most papers would still do a preview or event story on minor PPVs like Hell In A Cell if they're in their backyard.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Roller Derby as it is practiced now is covered as lesbian-oriented kitsch, not as an actual event.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This thread again? Can we stop debating the HISTORIC nature of this WORLD-CHANGING EVENT when they get to the 200th edition, at least? That should be sometime in November.

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Sorry, guess we don't all have the news sense you do. Feel free to ignore sports you don't like because you don't like them and therefore they suck. I forgot we're not in the newspaper industry, we're in the "What do our reporters want to cover" industry.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Great question. I'd wager a vast majority of the hate mail the SFC got for not covering this came from outside its coverage area.

9. Actually, this just shows that their testing works. What if every time an NFL team pulled through California, the state athletic commission independently tested the starting quarterback, a lineman and a few other random players? Think they just might catch more players cheating than the NFL's in-house testing that never seems to nab anyone?

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

How dare you bring logic into this? Don't you know he only showed those links to prove that MMA is full of juiced up muscle headed thugs wearing Affliction T-Shirts and, as such, isn't a sport but a hobby shared by failed athletes that should never, ever be covered by legit news outlets?

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I showed those links because I thought they were amusing in light of the arguments here. If you care to find where I made those other arguments (besides making fun of the douches who wear the Affliction/Tapout/Ed Hardy gear), please let me know.

12. Except, you fail to explain how it provides "ammo." So MMA athletes are cheating. This makes them different than the major pro sports, Olympic sports, and every other sport how, exactly? And the paper is in the same market that produced the Bash Brothers, BALCO and Bonds' assault on the home run record, no less.

Draft saved Draft deleted