1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Francisco Chronicle refuses to cover MMA and UFC and UFC President bashes em

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by blog415, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Every Britney Spears concert is reviewed in the next day's paper. Every single time.

Next?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Re: San Francisco Chronicle refuses to cover MMA and UFC and UFC President bashe

How about glass shards imbedded in the gloves like a Van Damme movie?

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Things-on-a-pole matches </vincerusso>

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Not in my town. Although if her tits were hanging out I'm sure they'd get a slideshow up online.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Every match ends with a swerve that gives me the win.[/dustyrhodes]

6. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I'm still confused about the line referencing historical value of this pay-per-view event.
    How historical can it be if they have one of these things every two weeks. At what point does UFC 882 have any more historical value than UFC 118?
    I do think the Chron could have at least done a feature photo package or had a stringer staff it. I'm not sure this whole debate merits 8 pages of back and forth. either you like it and will defend it all the way to UFC 177 or you don't. Doubtful either side is going to budge on their opinions.

7. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

It was historical because it was the FIRST EVER UFC in Boston. How hard is that to understand? Seriously? There's been 44 Super Bowls, but if there's ever one in Hawaii or Alaska, don't you think it'd be considered historical?

If UFC 882 is taking place for the first time ever in a city the size of Boston, it will have more historical value to that city than UFC 118 or any previous UFC cards.

I'm not saying it's historical for everyone, I'm saying it's historical for Boston. UFC has never in the 140+ cards had a show in Boston. Naturally, the first show there is historical for Boston.

Michigan has played football for 100+ years, but they've never played at Texas, or vice versa. If Michigan ever plays at Texas or Texas ever plays at Michigan, it will be historical. (disclaimer, I'm just using Michigan-Texas as an example, I have no idea if they've ever played or not)

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

And if MMA were as big as college football, you might be right. Otherwise, the use of the word "historical" to refer to another UFC television show - whatever its city of origin - is a little overwrought. Even "histrionic."

9. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I get your point. I'm not arguing MMA is as big as college football or Brittany Spears or anything else. Someone asked why should the Boston Herald give a shit and I said because of the historic value of it being the first UFC in Boston. It's a breakthrough show and another city in the UFC's desire to become mainstream.

670,000 people bought the UFC 118 PPV and millions more flooded sports bars, Hooter's, Buffalo Wild Wings, etc to watch the event live. So, obviously it's quite popular.

Whether you like it or not is not really the point. If my paper only covered events I personally deem worthy of coverage, we'd be hurting for readers. (I mean, hurting MORE)

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Chronicle gets ammo in this argument (and a good laugh):

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AondwHe0CD5y5R4I4oAh..M9Eo14?slug=ki-sonnenroids091910

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Reports-emerge-that-Sonnen-failed-his-UFC-117-dr;_ylt=AmzHjBYQBr7fa5zHKsmXdPk9Eo14?urn=mma-270724

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Yeah, no, that makes sense. The paper wouldn't cover any sport where individual athletes are accused of doing PEDs.

Remind me again, how does the paper put out a product without any NBA, NFL, MLB and NHL coverage?

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, cause MMA has the decades upon decades of tradition that baseball, football, hockey and basketball do. And hell, you should want the Game of Shadows people probing drug use in MMA, the way they did with an established sport like baseball.

Draft saved Draft deleted