1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Francisco Chronicle refuses to cover MMA and UFC and UFC President bashes em

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by blog415, Aug 11, 2010.

1. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Isn't this kind of like not covering the NHL because you do a KHL game and it turns out to be a crappy game?

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

More like not covering an MMA event because Dana White books obese retirees to fight his main events, but somehow expects people to continue to take him seriously. More like that.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

?

If you're referring to the fat boxer from UFC 118, that fight wasn't the main event. In fact, even casual fans knew that guy was going to get crushed. Anyone expecting a real boxing vs. MMA fight obviously doesn't watch enough of either to know what they're talking about.

If it's MMA: MMA athlete > Boxer undoubtedly, easily every single time.
    If it's Boxing: MMA athlete < Boxer undoubtedly, easily every single time.

If you're mad the fight wasn't close, you're an idiot. It'd be complaining that Alex Rodriguez hit a home run off of Peyton Manning.

4. blog415

blog415 Member

Where did the Dave Meltzer quote come from? Meltzer is one of the most respected and top MMA and wrestling writers and works for Yahoo! as well now.

Did he write that in the Wrestling Observer newsletter?

If so, this doesnt' reflect too well on the Chronicle's staff at all. Oh my. I guess that's why the Chron never gets back to me when I ask them if they would hire me as a MMA writer/blogger for their sfgate.com site

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So Dana White books Peyton Manning to compete against Alex Rodriguez?

You make my point for me.

6. schiezainc

How do I make your point for you? That's pretty poor logic.

I'm saying, quite simply, that the bout was never going to be anything great and if you ordered the PPV for that fight, you're either A.) an idiot, B.) A Couture fan or C.) A UFC apologist.

Fact is, the UFC has put on well over 20 events over the past year and the average event has maybe 10 total fights so you're looking at anywhere from 200-300 UFC sanctioned bouts per year.

Will they all be good? No. Will they all be great? No.

But to say this fight is some sort of indication that White is booking a poor card is dumb at best and ignorant at worst.

Have you ever watched a UFC event? I mean, really.

To call out White because of this fight, which anyone who knows anything knew was going to be a joke, would be like calling out Roger Goodell for booking the Colts vs. the Rams and saying that one bout ruins the credibility of an entire NFL season.

Fact is, the Couture fight sucked. Sure. But the rest of that card was damn solid.

I'm only a casual fan of the sport and I would have plopped down the money to see Diaz vs. Davis, Florian vs. Maynard and Edgar vs. Penn alone.

And in combat sports, where things are real, you can't script a solid card. Sometimes, it's not going to work out.

On paper, UFC 118 was booked well. Yes, the Couture match was bound for failure but, again, it. wasn't. the. main. event.

Why don't you just admit you hate the UFC because 1.) You're biased against it as a sport, 2.) You're offended by the violence, 3.) You're a traditionalist and can't stand the idea of something new, 4.) You hate Dana White (Which I can't blame you for, he's an asshole) or 5.) You just don't understand it and, therefore, are predisposed to hate it.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Retired superfat boxer James Toney vs Randy Couture? A stunt. Vaudeville. A circus booking.

And if you don't think Dana White was looking at that fight as the centerpiece of his pay-per-view receipts for that night, you don't know anything about fight promotion.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

So, should papers have not covered Tyson's later fights? You'd argue that they shouldn't, correct? What about Holyfield's fights now?

9. schiezainc

My mistake, I clearly thought that since the official title of the PPV was "UFC 118: Edgar vs. Penn 2" that it was, in fact, about Edgar vs. Penn. Geez, good thing you set me straight on that.

I was just about to place my order for "UFC 121: Lesnar vs. Velasquez" because I'm interested in seeing Brock Lesnar fight but, clearly, thanks to your logic, we all know the main event of that card is going to be Chris Camozzi vs. South Korea's Dong Yi Yang. Whew, good thing I didn't pull the trigger.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'd argue that an out-of-shape retired Mike Tyson fighting a Sumo wrestler or a karate expert or judo champion would be a stunt.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Go google "Edgar vs Penn"

and then

"Toney vs Couture"

and see which generates more hits and more interest.

12. schiezainc

So you're saying that the Toney vs. Couture fight generated more interest?

And you're also saying that, if White did promote the PPV this way he'd be wrong?

Which one is it?

Either White did his sport a disservice by allegedly promoting the PPV with a match that didn't deliver, which was your original point, or the UFC is some kind of terrible sport because people were more interested in the terrible fight than the real main event of the card?

I'm not sure I follow you.

Draft saved Draft deleted