1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Fran suggestions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Wallace, May 4, 2009.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Agree with the suggestion of going to the Amoeba Records store in the Haight-Ashbury section.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Coit Tower yet or driving the section of Lombard Street on Russian Hill (near Coit Tower). This is the section of Lombard that is a 27% downhill grade with eight sharp turns (cutbacks) in the 1/4 mile between Hyde and Leavenworth streets.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Do Alcatraz. It's maybe a 4 hour deal; certainly not the whole day. The problem might be getting tickets--I think you generally need to order them in advance--could be wrong on that, but something you might want to inquire about.

There's a bar next to Ghiradelli's that is famous for its Irish coffee. Can't recall the name of it, but was a very enjoyable experience.

if you do Napa Valley, V. Sattui was a very nice winery. Has a deli in the store in front where you can grab some cheese, sandwiches and the like and sit outdoors for a little al fresco lunch con vino.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Wallace, I don't know about a full day. I took the 4:30 p.m. ferry over to the Rock, walked around the whole island on the guided tour, did some souvenir shopping and was back on the ferry by 7:30. I suppose you could take longer if you wanted, but the island ain't that big. (And yes, Kirk's right: Order tickets on the Internet in advance.)

As far as San Fran suggestions, let me highly, highly recommend going up Coit Tower to check out the views of the city and the bay. Criminally underrated as a tourist attraction. Also hit the ice cream shop at Ghiradelli Square -- best chocolate in the world.

One more thing -- and y'all knew this was coming from me :D -- if you're in the Union Square area, stop by <a href="http://www.leftyodouls.biz/">Lefty O'Doul's restaurant</a> and have lunch. I came in out of the rain one day and had a hot open-faced turkey sandwich that was just phenomenal. Atmosphere is top-notch. You can just imagine Larry Ritter interviewing the owner in the kitchen for "The Glory of Their Times". Really, really cool place.

4. Wallace

Wallace Guest

Buck,

Thanks, we will check out Lefty's. We are staying at the King George hotel in Union Square, so we'll be close.

5. Wallace

Wallace Guest

Pete,
    Was just informed that Mo's is literally RIGHT NEXT to our hotel. Looks like we'll be eating their burgers after all.

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Oh, by the way. I second Alcatraz.

Still one of my - and even my wife's - favorite "tourist attraction" ever.

Oh, one other thing about Alcatraz, TAKE THE FIRST POSSIBLE TOUR.

It's early, but it's worth it. No one on the island except you and a few other die hards/early birds.

Thing is, once you're on the island, you leave when you want, so by midday the place is packed with stragglers who haven't left and more boatloads arriving.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Lefty's is/was the hangout for visiting writers for teams that stayed at the Hilton.
    One time, our guy filed his story, called to confirm and the kid answering the phone said it was there (this was before the cell phone rage). A little while later, one of the deskers looked at the story and it was the wrong one, the story from the previous day. Calls to his hotel room went unanswered.
    I said, I know where he is.
    I called Lefty's. The bartender answered and I told him I was trying to reach for a writer from L.A.
    He said, "Which one, Gordo or TJ?"
    I told him. He said, "He's not here now but I expect him shortly." He called back 10 minutes later.

8. Wallace

Wallace Guest

That is tremendous.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hey, a good desk person always knows where the writers hang out. Easier to get them there than at home many times.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The Irish Coffee place is the Buena Vista.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If you staying in the Union Square district, check out the White Horse Pub at Beresford Hotel on Sutter.
    Tell Steve the bartender, Jerry, Ed and the other regulars I said hello.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The Slanted Door

Ton Kiang for dim sum

Draft saved Draft deleted