1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Fran suggestions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Wallace, May 4, 2009.

1. Wallace

Wallace Guest

Mrs. Wallace and I are heading to San Francisco over Memorial Day weekend to celebrate the big one-year anniversary. Since I haven't been there in oh, ten years or so, we're looking for suggestions on some fun things to do. We plan on doing the usual touristy things (Fisherman's Wharf, the Golden Gate) but I'm hoping SJ nation has some more unique suggestions on restaurants, entertainment, etc.

The Giants are out of town, and I won't pay money to watch Oakland play :)

Thanks for the help.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Wine tour?

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Casual great food - Tommy's Joynt at Van Ness and Geary
    Fancy great food - Jardiniere by the opera house
    East Coast-style pizza - Napoli or Victor's
    Amoeba Records in the Haight

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Eat at a place called Mo's.

Some guide book I was given as a gift before I went to San Fran rated it as the best burger in San Fran.

I didn't eat many more in the city, but I'll tell you what: That was the best damn burger I've EVER had - anywhere. And I've had Red Mill in Seattle, too.

Even my wife still raves about the burger. And milkshake.

I'll try and find the address for you.

And it's not this one: http://www.mosgrill.com/

5. Wallace

Wallace Guest

All,

Thanks for the suggestions. We'll be sure to check some of those places out.

Pete, thanks for the tip on Mo's. Being from the Seattle area, we're eager for the challenge to Red Mill.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

For restaurants - if you like seafood, go to the Pacific Cafe for dinner. Arrive early as there's usually a line out the door by 5:30-5:45. You'll get a complementary glass of the house wine while waiting for your table.

For sightseeing, go about an hour east of the city and take a car ride up Mount Diablo. The view from the peak (or as far as they'll let you drive up) is spectacular. You can as far west as San Fran and beyond and as far west as Nevada.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

See Golden Gate Park, on Sundays there are no cars allowed in the park. Great scene with people biking and skating.

Have lunch at the Beach Chalet at the end of the Park, food's a bit overpriced but get a table by the window and you can see the beach and the Pacific Ocean across the street. Great setting. Or Cliff House on the edge of the Ocean.

Hike Lands End. Spectacular vistas on the edge of the ocean, you can see the waves crashing and walk amongst the native trees and flora.

8. Wallace

Wallace Guest

Awesome. Thanks for all the suggestions. My list is filling up!

9. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Plan a side trip to Tahoe. It's only 15 minutes.

Can't believe I was first with that.

10. First of all, fuck Fisherman's Wharf. Why would you want to spend good money to go to a city, and then hang out with all the other tourists they've herded into a pretend San Francisco Land portion of said city? That makes no sense. There's nothing to it anyway.

That being said ... if you're into touristy, go to Alcatraz. It's one of those tourist places that are still a lot of fun.

I was very, very partial to wine country. I believe Sonoma is the cheaper of the two, and just as good. You can spend an entire morning and afternoon out there, but you might want to bring a DD or have someone cut it off at some point.

Personally, I love Berkeley. The Amoeba Records there is pretty awesome, too. And so is Telegraph Avenue. If you're a jogger, run up to the summit of the campus, and you can look down over the whole bay.

There was a great Mexican restaurant/bar I ate and drank at a couple years back, though the name escapes me. Same with the hole in the wall where my friends on the beat and I essentially collapsed in our chairs after the end of a long, long, long football season.

11. Best city in America, by the way.

12. Wallace

Wallace Guest

Waylon,

We were looking at Alcatraz, and I would like to go, but we have heard it takes up a very large portion of the day from a few people. Can you shed some light on that? Would love to go, but with only three days out there, I don't want to take up an entire day on the Rock. Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted