1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Diego Union-Tribune lays off 178

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tucsondriver, May 26, 2015.

1. Several years ago I was laid off by the Dallas Morning News and brought back five months later.

Of course, I was laid off again in 2011 and did not come back. And if they asked, there is no way in hell I'd go back.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

My place had layoffs. One of the reporters cut loose, was offered her job back in under 10 days.

It might have been five.

I can think of at least a dozen people I know laid off and then hired back at newspapers around the country.

It happens.

Fired is much less imprecise. It also implies they were let go for cause. Laid-off implies that they were cut loose because of financial trouble with the company and it doesn't reflect back on the employee.

3. georgealfano

georgealfano Active Member

When I was taking a management course toward my BS degree in Finance during the ear;y 1980s, a professor once said that of people terminated by an employer, only five percent returned to work at the same company. The theory behind this is that an employee would never be as loyal to the employee.

Draft saved Draft deleted