1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Diego Union-Tribune lays off 178

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tucsondriver, May 26, 2015.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Wouldn't they be smart enough to know that if a couple of hundred people are fired at once, that it had little, if anything, to do with job performance?

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Maybe. Or they could be newspaper executives and would then obviously be clueless.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The media has an obligation to be as unambiguous as possible, to include using language that has become the dominant and widely understood parlance of modern times.

4. Baron Scicluna

Point well taken.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Baron is redlining every sports section that mentions a player being "cut" or "released," because in reality that player was fired.

6. Baron Scicluna

Cut and released are the exact same thing as being fired. No ambiguity, unlike "layoffs", which imply that the worker will be brought back at some point.

"Placed on waivers" is accurate because, while the result is usually the same with the player being released or cut, waivers can be recalled.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

In other language news, "exact same thing" means the exact same thing as "same."

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Perhaps it used to imply that when we were a manufacturing economy. It doesn't imply that anymore and hasn't for some time.

When I hear, "Bank of America to lay off 3,000", I do not expect any of them to be temporary. "Fired" means "you did something wrong"; "laid off" means "our company is struggling or our shareholders are howling and we need to cut payroll costs."

Hmmm . . . sounds like Bob Norman's Daily Pulp from the Miami New Times.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    Bronco77 likes this.
  9. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

I was acquainted many years ago with employees who were "laid off" from factory jobs with International Harvester and Caterpillar, then indeed were called back when business picked up. But that was a long time ago, and the connotation is certainly much different now. There's only one instance I'm aware of locally of a "laid-off" newspaper employee returning to the paper -- but it was on a part-time basis, and the rehiring wasn't automatic; the ex-employee had to go through a reapplication process.

Won't confirm the identity of the alternative weekly reporter in question, but he did do some solid reporting on job cuts and other newsroom matters and was quite aggressive in calling out and embarrassing upper management.

10. Baron Scicluna

That's the thing, when did the connotation change, who changed it, and why did everyone let them get away with it?

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I was part of a large layoff in 2008 when my position, along with others, was eliminated, then rehired about a month later because two reporters had left for new jobs in the interim.

It was for a different position, but I was told they had to look at the layoff list first when hiring.

I left a few years later after the paper was sold and got rid of a bunch of people and someone was recalled from the layoff list to take my former spot.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It changed when we changed from a manufacturing economy into a service one. The ebb and flow of supply and demand caused companies to lay off people during down periods with the expectation that they would be brought back when business picked up.

Firing has almost always meant "employee did something wrong."

Being laid off has almost always meant --- and still means --- "the company is not meeting financial expectations."

The only thing that changed is the notion that the laid-off employee can reasonably hope to be called back (although it does happen). And part of that, I assume, has to do with the company paying severance. Paying someone, say, 26 weeks not to work and then bringing them back to work just doesn't typically happen. Were "laid off" factory workers in the 60s and 70s paid a severance? Or did they just tighten their belt for a few weeks until the call came to come back to work?

Nobody is "getting away" with anything. Many job applications ask you for a reason why you left your previous employer, with some of the choices being "terminated" (or involuntary) or "laid off" (or voluntary). There still is a difference.

Draft saved Draft deleted