1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Diego U-T sold to equity group

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Editude

Editude Active Member

Expected cutting and slashing from a company that, well, cuts and slashes. That said, sources say the U-T still has more than a few folks whose current utility is in question.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Damn, why didn't all those businesses that the San Diego paper covers think of that? If the journalistic voice in town clams up about its bidness, that's a good enough standard for all the non-journalistic enterprises.

This is precisely what all the businessmen/publishers want: Independent media choked off so there's no scrutiny of anything. Keep all the sheep in the dark.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Does anyone have names?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Brutal...

5. Dread_Smith

Dread_Smith New Member

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I worked with Tom when he was a young stringer in San Diego, and aside from the inherent sadness and anger over this move, I simply can't believe how long it has been since then.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Unfortunately, this is true.

They whacked one of the foremost baseball beat writers in the country, someone who not only did an incredible job on the Padres beat, but someone who was cut out to be a baseball writer. You could tell and sense that in everything Tom wrote on the Padres. The guy absolutely had command of that beat.

The question is -- as a good friend of mine who lives in northern San Diego County pointed out -- is will the U-T continue to travel with the Padres? The NC Times only goes to Western Division teams.

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I got to know Tom a little bit when I worked there about 15 years ago, and I think this is a disgrace to whack the guy who's been doing the sports dept.'s second most important beat (not that the other layoffs aren't tragic).

Tom had a heck of an act to follow in Buster Olney when he took over the beat, but I think he's done a heck of a job. Here's hoping he lands on his feet.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Take cover, UT colleagues. Trouble is on the way, according to the former LADN editor.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2009/05/whos_killing_the_daily_ne.php

Draft saved Draft deleted