1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Diego TV reporter attacked by couple

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ledbetter, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

My outrage is considerably lessened by the fact the reporter works for Fox.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I'll agree with the fact that if the cameraman would've stopped shooting to help him, the reporter wold've given him a worse beating.

As for acting like assholes, once I get slapped across the face with a water bottle, I think my on-air class goes out the window, too. Sorry.

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Frank, this is a local Fox operation, not FNC. And even there, it's not the reporters who are the problem - Neal Cavuto practically rips them new assholes on the air when their stories don't fit his talking points.
    The top TV investigative reporter in my neck of the woods (also the recipient of a heart transplant a few years ago) is risking a similar beatdown with his reporting on my mayor's campaign for statewide office. The mayor has all kinds of mob ties, and an adult day care center operator who had a sign for the opposing candidate on his property was threatened yesterday by the state Senate majority leader, who's an ally of the mayor.
    We're living in a world where, unfortunately, these kind of tactics are considered all right by many viewers and voters.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

I hope the couple spends a few miserable months in the pokey for this one, but the photog made it look staged. The perfect framing of the wife and the guys on the ground, then the framing of the cop pointing the gun. Just seemed almost Springerish to me.
    And by the way, the reporter going drama queen and saying "bye-bye" while dimissing her with a wave of the hand? Classless.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

I knew someone would say something exactly this stupid eventually.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The dude who came in swinging can't fight at all. Any one with any experience would have blocked that week roundhouse punch and kicked him in the nads.

I can't believe that guy was threatening and beating up people. Kicking, scratching and biting?

Bully boy should be ashamed.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

My next thought as an attacker would've been to grab the camera and bash it to smithereens.

Obviously not dealing with Nobel Prize winners here.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I read this story on CNN but haven't watched the video.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/07/reporter.attacked.ap/index.html

"Barraza, who during the confrontation threatened to get a gun, was booked for investigation of making a terrorist threat, battery, and theft for allegedly grabbing the cameraman's microphone"

Huh? A terrorist threat????

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

She has a foreign name. Good enough for Uncle Sam.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Are you fucking kidding me? Not only does Fox run propaganda as fact, it attempts to smear responsible media with its "fair and balanced" claim. Fox is nothing but an oozing, festering pimple on the media's ass. And the people who defend it are the stupid ones.

11. thank you, someone who noticed the same shit. He's lucky the guy didn't walk up and shoot him as opposed to just taking a swing...What strikes me as odd is that the guy didn't defend himself. I would say a can of whoop-ass would have to be opened in that situation.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Local Fox affiliates are quite different from the Fox News Channel.

Draft saved Draft deleted