1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Diego sports design

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dybo7, Jun 10, 2006.

1. nachoman

nachoman New Member

Doesn't seem like sports designers are always on the move? San Diego has blown through a bunch, and it seems like sports design jobs are always being posted. What gives?

2. I applied once, mostly because I thought it would be cool to go to San diego, and was left kind of put off. i don't remember who I got the email from, but was really raked over the coals as far as my design skills go. Basically, i got the, "The San Diego Union-tribune way is the best and only way and, let me tack on that you are a bad designer." Folks, I'm certainly not the best designer, but I am in no way as bad as I felt when I read the email. I've talked with a guy i work with who used to work there a decade or so ago, and he said it's why he left and it didn;t sound like anything changed. I left that email thinking, "It isn't even worth it." Hopefully, someone has a bit more insight, but I wanted to add this to the list.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Same thing here, although this was in the pre-email days. I sent some stuff out, then called a couple weeks later. Their response was essentially, that I wasn't that great, and they could hire anyone they want, and they've got piles of resumes, etc. I subsequently went to a bigger, better and geographically desireable place. I got the feeling that the U-T kind of liked being full of itself. The Orange County paper has also been known to cop this attitude.

4. annoyed

annoyed Member

So does Jason get worked back in to the sports-front rotation in Fort Worth?

Draft saved Draft deleted