1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Diego paper asking readers to rate columnists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ace, May 7, 2013.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The UT-San Diego paper placed ads in print asking readers to say which sports columnists they read and how often:

http://jimromenesko.com/2013/05/07/high-school-prom-of-journalism-or-newspapers-101/

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

We'll soon see a rash of U-T columns about Maria Sharapova, Michelle Jenneke ... basically this:

http://www.totalprosports.com/2012/12/19/the-50-most-googled-female-athletes-of-2012/

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

One of my first newspaper gigs was working in a features department handling the mail. It was a day after an editor dropped a few comic strips (the Rex Morgans etc.) in favor or "younger" ones.
    Now, papers are smart enough to do a cursory "poll" to make their changes seem less rash. You do figure though that UT would have a pretty good idea just through web clicks. Would there be that much difference?

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dan, at the Herald, the paper ran a reader poll on what comics were their favorites. Then, when the poll showed results they didn't like, they deep-sixed it, denied any editorial employees access to the results and dropped the most expensive ones which was their plan all along.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

There could be a lot of difference. For example, anyone can get to the poll that's on the link and participate and say they read every person on the staff. Theoretically, of course.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

In tomorrow's edition of the U-T, a point-counterpoint:

Why The Chargers Should Sign Tim Tebow, by (columnist 1)
    Why The Chargers Should Not Sign Tim Tebow, by (columnist 2)

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Help Save this Puppy - A 10-part series.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Here are some ways this is stupid:

1. Unless they have about 2 dozen columnists in San Diego, these aren't columnists but sports writers. So if you are interested in the beat the writer is covering you probably read him/her. If not, you probably don't. That's no reflection on the writer.

2. This is about as scientific as paper-rock-scissors. Anyone can vote. And I would assume the writers' families are busy all night voting. I think we should all vote.

3. You unnecessarily freak out your staff while gathering useless data.

Otherwise, brilliant plan!

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I hope Tim Sullivan gets a lot of write-in votes.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Drip

Drip Active Member

I fear someone's job is in jeopardy.

12. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I think we all oughta go over there and give rave reviews to everybody.

Draft saved Draft deleted