1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Diego Ideas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lieslntx, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Love the idea of touring the Midway. We are quite excited about doing that. Will probably buy tickets online before we leave to save time.

Would love to also do a harbor cruise. I'm assuming that we can just pick a cruise once we get down there. Or is this something we need reservations for?

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I had reservations for my cruise, but it's been too long for me to remember how necessary that was. You might look into it just so you don't get screwed over when you get there.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

If you get up early enough, you can watch the local gentry down their first Bloody Marys of the day at the Pennant in Mission Beach. Usually that starts around 8.

Seriously, there is a mini-boardwalk near there with a few rides. The zoo is great. Del Mar is also running now, which is cool

4. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

I think you can do reservations or just show up. We were there in December so we just walked up to the booth and had no problem getting on at the time we wanted. This time of year reservations might not be a bad idea.

5. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

After doing a Google search on day cruises it looks as if we will be able to just pick one once we get down there. I'm thinking we might do a dinner cruise. We should be able to make reservations tomorrow, once we arrive.

Thanks for the help! We are excited about the military angle, since we both have strong military backgrounds in our families.

Still need a great local place to eat Saturday night.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not sure how close this is to where you're staying, but Hash House a Go Go is a great casual restaurant with huge plates of chow. Google it.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

There's a little cafe where they play guitars all night and day.
    You can hear them in the back room strummin'.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Zoo's a good full day activity. Balboa Park's great and there's more than a dozen museums and there's a few gardens, too. Padres play a day game on Wednesday and are off Thursday. Gaslamp is great for just about anything. The recommendation to tour the ships and Seaport Village shops is also a good idea.

9. Giggity

Giggity Member

San Diego is actually German for a whale's vagina. (Somebody had to say it)

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Walk through Gaslamp and you'll find a dozen great places to eat, depending on what you're hungry for, and a hundred great places to drink afterward, too, if you're so inclined.

Rockin' Baja Lobster (seafood) is really good. Calaco Grill (Mexican) is good.

Oh, and if you don't have one near you or have never been, I suggest you hit the Ghirardelli Ice Cream Shop at some point during the day (it's a few blocks away from Petco Park, on 5th and Market.) Best chocolate in the world, bar none.

11. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Go to Black's Beach and nude it up.

I'd also highly reco The Butcher Shop in Chula Vista. If Tarantino shot a movie in a steak house, that'd be it.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

It is, but you can get a good burger in any major city. We stay in either Ocean Beach or Shelter Island nearby. I would go to El Indio for cheap Mexican food and then Gelato Vera down the street. I haven't been in a few years, but it was the best gelato I'd ever had. Another good, relatively cheap place is Point Loma Seafoods, but I think it closes around 8.

Draft saved Draft deleted