1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Diego Ideas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lieslntx, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Traveling to San Diego on business tomorrow but will have one day to do something fun. Normally when we travel and have a day to spare, we just hop in the rental and drive around. We would like something a little more concrete to do this time, since I will be officially celebrating my birthday during the trip. Would love some ideas and suggestions.

We are staying near the San Diego Convention Center, but we will have a rental, so driving is not a problem. We only have one day to do anything and that is Thursday. We will have time for a nice leisurely dinner on Saturday, so I would also love suggestions for a place to eat.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Was in San Diego not long ago. Took a free day and went to Coronado Beach, which was great. Nice commercial area to get some refreshments in, and specatcular beach, with a dog beach at one end (north?) -- leash-less canines and their masters cavorting in surf -- that is a hoot if you're a dog lover.

Also walked through Balboa Park (OK, not great) and drove up to LaJolla and Del Mar. One thing I wished we had done was hit a Padres game while there, but they were on road.

3. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Go fuck yourself, San Diego.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

We spent a couple of days in San Diego last month and loved it. Didn't make it to Coronado but we did go to the zoo and Del Mar and the Cabrillo National Monument is pretty cool too with some great views:

http://www.nps.gov/cabr/

We didn't get to tour the USS Midway but we strolled down by it and the Padres were on the road so both of those will be on the sked next time we're in San Diego.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

You stay classy.

6. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

In all seriousness, the San Diego Zoo is the best I've ever seen.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Coronado Beach is awesome.

The hotel that is there can be toured and is a must see.

There are also some cool ferry rides that show you all the military stuff up close. I enjoyed that.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The zoo is awesome, though waiting in line an hour to see a panda from 100 yards away was not awesome.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

After the zoo, or a Padres game, drive to San Ysidro, park your car, and walk into TJ. One of those places you have to experience at least once.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

Did it make you sad?

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

We waited until 5:30 or so to see the pandas and were through the line in probably 15 minutes.

Sea World is great too.

And Hodads in Ocean Beach is one hell of a burger joint.

12. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Mrs. Fear and I went on our honeymoon there last year.

Staying near the convention center, you'll be close to the Gaslamp Quarter for restaurants and nightlife.

During the day, all the earlier suggestions are good. The zoo was great. Be prepared to walk a lot of hills. It's tucked into the hillside pretty good so it's a lot of up and down.

If you are into the milatary, the Midway tour was great as well. There it's a lot of stairs and ladders. The day we toured the Midway we took a harbor cruise which went by the Navy base and under the Coronado bridge and around out to Point Loma.

Compared to the Midway or the zoo, it pales in comparison, but the Point Loma Lighthouse was cool because from there you can see the city pretty well. The day we went up there, the Nimitz carrier group was heading out for a week's worth of excercises so we could see each ship as it came out of the harbor.

Since you only have a day, that should more than cover it.

Draft saved Draft deleted