1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Dee-Ay-Go, make that Los An-Gel-Es, Super Chargers?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Dec 7, 2010.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

The L.A. market has multiple teams in the three other major sports. Jacksonville has none. Hmm. Do the math. Yes, actually, the NFL CAN be wrong. And is.

2. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

From what I remember, the NFL wanted LA to come back with Cleveland in 99. But Houston had its act together while LA didn't. The league stalled for three years - hoping LA would come up with a viable stadium option in that time - before giving the 32nd franchise to Houston.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Houston had a stadium plan -- and a lot, lot, lot more money for the expansion fee.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I answered that in the post you responded to. Here it is again.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Downtown Los Angeles?

Have they moved the Coliseum since that storied inaugural AFL season of 1960?

Los Angeles for the NFL is just a threat a team can dangle when it wants to negotiate.

L.A. native here, and I can't think of a single member of my family, anyone in my group of friends who hail from L.A., or frankly anyone I know who is hankering for the NFL's return.

OK, we'd be happy if the Raiders came back, true. But the Jaguars or Vikings? Chargers?

Who cares?

Every once in a while, the NFL and/or the L.A. media float the idea out there. When there was an "NFL beat writer" for the L.A. Daily News in the early 2000s, that was his forte: produce 80 inches or so every few months about how the NFL was thinking about coming back to Los Angeles.

And nothing ever came of it. I'll believe this new stadium when I see it. The Great City/metropolitan area/collection of suburbs of Los Angeles has thrived just fine without becoming the latest city to bow down to the NFL, and if necessary, it will likely continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

IIRC, there were two groups bidding for an LA franchise, but they worked against each other so much, the NFL gave up and greenlighted Houston's bid.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

LA is more valuable to the NFL as a relocation/extortion threat than it woud be with a team.

MLB used Tampa/St. Pete to great effectiveness to force stadium deals. Then they fucked up by actually putting a team there. The franchise is a flop and MLB no longer has a viable threat site for relocation.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I don't think the NFL has been wrong for 15 years.

9. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Owners actually approved expansion to L.A. for 1999. Eisner was the head of the group, but they couldn't get their shit together as you noted. That is how Houston got approved.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Houston paid $800 million for expansion rights and had an awesome stadium approved. Houston came ready to play.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So what you're saying is that Winn-Dixie is buying up the tickets again?

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yeah Peter, caught me there. The LA Coliseum is no where near downtown LA. Just because I live here, doesn't mean I know anything about my neighborhood, right? Or the fact that everyone here considers the Coliseum as part of the downtown Fig Corridor?

Yet again, proving you are so much more knowledgable than everyone in SJ.

Draft saved Draft deleted