1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Dee-Ay-Go, make that Los An-Gel-Es, Super Chargers?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Dec 7, 2010.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Also — just because this always bugs me — Atlanta’s first big-league stadium was originally called simply Atlanta Stadium, and stayed that way for 10 years or so.

Then it was changed to Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium, I think because the county was also involved in its funding (and maybe had joint ownership) and wanted that acknowledged. It kept that name to the end, and it always drove me nuts when people shortened it by calling it “Fulton County Stadium” when “Atlanta Stadium” is shorter and easier and more reflective of the municipality that drove its construction in the first place.

OK, rant over. Carry on.

Slacker likes this.
  2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Rice Stadium still exists and is still hosting Owls' games. I'm sure there's been plenty of work done on it, but I didn't see anything about it being torn down and a new stadium built in its place.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Because it was only built 28 years ago, and it seems absurd to demolish something that (relatively) new.

TigerVols likes this.
  4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The eighth demolished Super Bowl venue is old Stanford Stadium.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Was it truly demolished though? It sits on the same site. Like all Californians, I'm guessing the kept one wall intact so they could just call it a renovation.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The Wailing Wall?

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Got bailed out on that trivia question. When I counted them up I thought Rice Stadium had been demolished at some point, and never realized Stanford Stadium had been torn down and rebuilt. Was about to post a correction, but I guess eight is the number after all. It's a Christmas miracle!

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

It's a totally new stadium, built inside the footprint of the old stadium. They kept one part of the old facade intact (top of photo) but it is not part of the current stadium.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Eight and a half when you look at what ASU has done to Sun Devil Stadium.

Draft saved Draft deleted