1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Dee-Ay-Go, make that Los An-Gel-Es, Super Chargers?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Dec 7, 2010.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Especially when the Chargers play their game against the Raiders there.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Parking at Berkeley is nonexistent. Last time I covered a game there, a street was designated for media parking.
    A co-tenancy at Levi's much like with the Giants and Jets at the Meadowlands, was proposed, but Al Davis shot it down.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

How? With a thunderbolt?

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Gosh, I attended a Raiders game at Memorial Stadium in Berkeley. It was in 1973, because the A's were at home. Oakland ended Miami's 18-game win streak 12-7. So why would Cal not want the money now? Doesn't make sense.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The neighbors fought tooth-and-nail against Cal installing lights, trying to prohibit night games. They would fight 10 times as hard to keep the NFL out, even it was only there temporarily, to preserve their peaceful Sundays.

Never underestimate the power of neighborhood associations in California (or any other West Coast state) land-use issues.

6. Michael_ Gee

My God, they live next to an enormous state university. I'd think an NFL game would seem like a nice quiet weekend by comparison.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Would you want these people roaming your neighborhood?
    [​IMG]

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

FWIW an agreement for an NFL team to have absolute control of a public facility is probably a violation of antitrust law. When the USFL started they were able to play in NFL stadiums such as Soldier Field, the Meadowlands and Mile High by threatening antitrust lawsuits.

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

See: Pasadena/Arroyo Seco/Rose Bowl; I'm sure the Chargers made inquiries about using that as their temporary home and were immediately shut down.

10. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Cal is tame by big school standards. The neghiborhoods are dense.

The bigger issue, as stated, is parking. Pull the stadium up on google maps and enjoy how few lots there are.

11. Michael_ Gee

I can accept that. But how do Cal crowds get there and get out? I mean, the game I saw in 1973, I lived in East Oakland. We took the bus.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Many take BART. The Shattuck Avenue station isn't too far away, down the hill. A lot of people walk. Students who do attend are close. There is some parking available above the stadium, which sits on the far east end of campus.

Draft saved Draft deleted