1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Dee-Ay-Go, make that Los An-Gel-Es, Super Chargers?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Dec 7, 2010.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

They say you can't go home again. But they weren't talking about the Los Angeles-San Diego Chargers, returning to where they were born: Downtown Los Angeles.

TJ has some of the details today; I live downtown and I have it on good authority the construction of the new stadium is being fast-tracked and that it's all but a done deal (look for the NCAA to announce a Final Four @ the new stadium for 2017. Look for a NBA Finals to be there before Kobe retires.)

Here's TJ's story

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-1207-simers-20101207,0,7255799.column

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I could live with that.

I'd rather see the Jaguars move to LA since I hate messing with tradition and the Jags have no tradition, or fans, but San Diego needs a new stadium and won't get it any other way.

3. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

Makes sense for the Jags to move there. Wouldn't mind the Raiders moving back to LA either.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I cringe when I hear rumors of Minnesota going there and I don't think Goodell would ever let that happen.

I think the only teams that could realistically wind up there are the Jaguars, Chargers and the Raiders.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Great spot for a stadium. Better idea with the retractable roof to attract conventions and the Final Four. West Coast is long overdue for a Final Four.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Phoenix looked into a Final Four and balked at the NCAA's extortionate demands.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Goodell can't stop it, thanks to Al Davis.

Goodell's predecessors Tagliabue and Rozelle did nothing to prevent the Baltimore Colts, Los Angeles Rams and Cleveland Browns, all certifiably historic NFL franchises which played before massive crowds most of their existences, from skipping town at the whims of their owners. (You can throw the Cardinals and Oilers in there if you want.)

It's all about billionaire owners extorting multi-billions out of taxpayers.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Star, that's mostly but not entirely correct. Goodell couldn't stop a franchise legally from moving into LA. But he could get the owners to vote to admit an expansion franchise there to prevent a move. Difficult verging on impossible, I admit, but it's within his scope.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This sounds like a great deal for everyone except the tens of millions of people in the L.A. area who don't want a team because A) the tickets are going to be far too expensive for them to ever go; and B) instead of being free to get the three best games of the week on TV regardless of geography, they're now going to be stuck with their suck team and often only one other game because of the doubleheader rules.

I have never heard any regular actual L.A. resident say they want a team.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

What were their demands?

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Better the Chargers than the Bills, that's for sure.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Assuming their team sells out. The Rams and Raiders didn't, so games were regularly blacked out.

Agreed, I don't get the impression the demand is really there.

Draft saved Draft deleted