1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Bernardino

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The police have confirmed it is more than one person apparently targeting whatever meeting was in that conference room. It doesn't fit the pattern of Islamic-based terror group attacks either here or in other countries at all, but that's still one of the possibilities of course.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

We've got Fox on in the breakroom. Take that for what it's worth.
    They seem to take issue with police chief introducing the people who were going to speak at the press briefing, which seems pretty standard to me.
    And they seemed baffled by lack of on concrete information.

I didn't see any real problems with anything, other than police chief should've closed briefing 5-10 minutes faster with the redundant questions.

I haven't covered cops beat since 2000, but I took no issue with how it was handled.
    They said what they knew or could say.
    And they've got nobody in custody.

3. Michael_ Gee

They know precious little, except that if they don't find these guys, they'll be back somewhere, probably real soon.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I am one of them, which is why I thought he was trying to make another point in telling him to stop besides the use of that word, instead of just to stop using the word.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Farook Syed" appears to be preposterously misspelled -- like the idea of some half-literate yokel of what a "mooslim terrorist's" name would be.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's probably a sign of my cognitive biases that I'd be a little relieved if it were Islam-related and not right-wing-politics related.

7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

That's probably why there are multiple people by that name/spelling on LinkedIn, just at a glance.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Spelling is based on what was reportedly heard on police scanner. Seeing Farooq Saeed as well.

9. Michael_ Gee

Not me, Rick. It would mean Islamic terrorists were changing their tactics to means that will be harder to detect and prevent. The reason I don't think it is that is that it's so different from previous Islamic attacks, even Paris.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I covered enough cop shit to know that they never have information as quickly as you would like them to have information.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And after the Planned Parenthood shooting, there were people on Twitter claiming police were searching for somebody with an Arabic name.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's all well and good, but the most often thing that gets reported early, and turns out to be wrong is that there were multiple shooters.

That appears to have been confirmed in this case.

Are people doubting this?

Draft saved Draft deleted