1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Antonio SE to NBA.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Rollthebones, this is a big job at a very good publication. Rivard will take his time to pick a successor. I hope no one comes on the board spilling names. It creates too many rumors and there is almost always someone on the board who doesn't like a particular person for one reason or another.

2. rollthebones

rollthebones New Member

Express News to finalize SE Thursday with the SE taking post on Monday morning.

Eight folks applied, only a few good enough.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

With this job comes a lot of SAEN BS. The person who takes this position will have to deal wih a lot of things from Hearst to Rivard to a staff that is good but needs a leader it can respect. It's my understanding that those who applied can handle the job.

4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

This remained an internal move, as forecast earlier?

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I don't know for sure, but I'd be shocked if it didn't. The powers-that-be were pretty adamant that it had to be. There is a kinda, sorta hiring freeze there right now.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

No kinda, sorta hiring freeze. It's a freeze.

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I say kinda sorta, because Quintana was allowed to hire a new enterprise writer in sports ... three days before he took the NBA.com gig.

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

Don't know names but do know that this was an internal replacement all the way.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From The Pipeline:

Colleagues:

We are pleased to announce two important newsroom management appointments today, both effective Monday, Oct. 13.

Brad Lehman, who has served so ably as business editor since his arrival from the Miami Herald in 2005, will become sports editor. He replaces Steve Quintana, our outgoing AME/Sports, who has accepted the position of executive editor at nba.com with the Turner Sports Network in Atlanta. (Incidentally, we will bid farewell to Steve on Thursday, 4:30 p.m. in the sports department. Please join us for cake and a few words.)

Brad brings a passion for sports and a proven record of leadership to the job. He inherits a strong team of editors and reporters.

10. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I did a quick google on the new sports editor. Sounds like he has some serious journalism credentials.

A few years ago, the executive editor at San Antonio (Rivard) almost became editor of the Miami Herald.

Maybe Lehman met him during the interview process ....

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

No that wasn't the case. Bob gave a thought about going to Miami but he has an excellent thing in San Antonio. The Miami Herald of say 20 years ago would've been a great move for him then. He looked at it and passed. It was an excellent move, one which Hearst definitely compensated him handsomely for.
    The SAEN business dept. has long been a place of radical change. Many editors have gone there as a temporary spot until something better opened up. It's going to take a while before the staff warms up to him, but there shouldn't be any problems. There are plenty of pro's pros at the SAEN sports dept.

12. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Great but underrated columnist there in Buck Harvey.

Draft saved Draft deleted