1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Antonio SE to NBA.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Serious soul searching or not, it's stupid.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

No argument on that point.

3. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

If there really are several people qualified to be sports editor, that's a heck of a staff. Sometimes, you can't find anybody in-house.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

No surprise here. The NBA coverage at the Express-News was always among the best in the country.

They cover the hell out of the Spurs and they don't make it seem excessive, which is very impressive.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Mizzou, the Spurs have always been covered well in San Antonio. Back in the day when there were two papers in town, the Spurs coverage was outstanding.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

mizzou what about a major metro making a writer byline a story by watching a game on tv? who cares how good the nba coverage is.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Angola, did they actually make him write a byline story? I believe there is more to what actually happened.
    I know of guys who have written byline stories from the tube. I know a few who got fired for it too.
    With the price of travel and budget cuts, I have a feeling many papers are going to be covering it by TV. In the old days, guys used to write game stories by radio.

8. batts

batts Member

I'm told story was not a byline, just a hold to cover staff report. It was also done because AP California stood no chance of filing a report from a 9:30 p.m. Central start in time to make a Central deadline.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

That is the story that came across to me as well. Many papers have done this so the SAEN is no exception. Rivard and Quintana are men with principles and commitments to the profession. They are great soldiers who have paid their dues and are highly respected.
    Angola, through his sources, may have a different take on what transpired.

10. If your deadline requires a simple gamer with no quotes, I don't see the problem. Unless you have a dateline or otherwise pretend you're actually on site.

True, you're not providing full value to the reader, but those quick first-writethru gamers from the arena aren't that great either.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Which would more than justify making such call by Rivard and Quintana. However, it should be noted that most NBA beat guys write a running story and if done properly, should beat AP's first story. Even with an early deadline from the left coast, the beat guy should've been able to file something to meet deadline.

12. rollthebones

rollthebones New Member

so who's up for the job?

Who got the job?

lots of talk but haven't heard a name.

Draft saved Draft deleted