1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Antonio SE to NBA.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From The Pipeline:

Some news today from San Antonio, where sports editor Steve Quintana has given his two weeks' notice and announced he's taking a job as executive producer of NBA.com in Atlanta. In a memo to the staff, Express-News editor Robert Rivard said Steve, who'd headed the department for five years, will be replaced internally.

2. jps

jps Active Member

good, smart editor. good for him.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yeah, I dealt with him a long time ago, wanted to hire him in fact, didn't work out, very talented guy. Best to him.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

I'll echo the good-guy vibe. He used to work in Atlanta for si.com, so he has a history there. He's been the NBA assigning editor in San Antonio all along, so the subject matter certainly will be familiar.

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I read the section every day and it's been damn good since I moved here in March.
    Great high school coverage that's well-coordinated.
    Congrats to Steve on what's hopefully an upward move.
    Much less hassle at NBA.com, I suspect.
    But who knows? Could be less money.
    Hearst likely paid him well as SE

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Steve will be missed but there are several capable replacements on staff. The question is how Rivard will make the decision. Not throwing names but there were guys on staff who were more than capable of taking over when Steve got the job a few years ago. Congrats on snagging the NBA gig Steve. I'm sure you will do well in hotlanta.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Some, like Orsborn, McCarney or Krizak, may not want the job.
    Doug Pils has AP experience and tons of other jobs he's worked.

Maybe the staff's most-tenured individual (and former sports ed.) Barry Robinson will be the man, even on an interim basis.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm told San Antonio is so hard up, it had its WNBA writer "cover" the game by watching it on TV.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Barry doesn't want the headache. He's fine where he's at. McCarney, a great guy, doesn't have the tenure. Orsborn would be the perfect fit but Tom doesn't need the headache and the overall bs that comes from it. There are others on the staff with tenure who are very well respected and are great motivators.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Not doubting your contact angola but it's been done in the past. It definitely wouldn't be the first thing Steve or Rivard would openly agree to without serious soul searching.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Oh, it's true.

Also, you should just use AP copy if you are going to make a writer "cover" a game by watching it on TV. No wonder newspapers are dying.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Again, I'm sure some serious soul searching went in by both Steve and Bob before a decision on doing it.
    These are screwed up times and papers are doing weird things to stay afloat.

Draft saved Draft deleted