1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Antonio paper to quit Top 25 polls

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SixToe, Feb 12, 2007.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

RE: Gathers ---
    Boots, that a tough call. I can't fault you for that. Notifying next of kin, etc., is crucial in dealing with these situations. I think you did the right thing, it transcends basketball.
    That night -- a night I will never forget -- most of the media was in the old gym at LMU, which was being used as a media room. There was no official word as we waited for announcements. I had the phone number for Father Dave Hagan in Philly, the street corner clergyman where a lot of the kids hung out. I called him. He told me Hank was dead. I sat on that for the next couple of hours until we were told to go to the hospital, which was a mile or so away. A very tough night.

2. slipshod

slipshod Member

Arizona Daily Star in Tucson has dropped out of all poll participation.

3. Rasputin

Rasputin New Member

After the New Orleans thing, the Times Picayune (no surprise) ended all poll voting for it's writers.

What's the count now?

AJC, Charlotte, LA Times, Arizona Daily Star, NOTP. . . . . .

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Is OK.. a 9-2 Alabama team got one in 1941 from Houlgate (whatever the hell that is; maybe a store in Tuscaloosa?) ignoring undefeated Minnesota...
    And Parke Davis used to give out titles from 1869 to 1933--- including one to the University of Detroit in 1928..

Draft saved Draft deleted