1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Antonio Night Editor slams a pop-knot on TV guys

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SixToe, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Re: San Antonio SE slams a pop-knot on TV guys

Actually, Pils isn't the SE of the SAEN. But other than that, good for him.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I won't defend the TV station in question, but I always howl at the reaction whenever TV reporters do something wrong.

It's as if print people are the last virgins in journalism.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That was a Danza slap all the way. Great work.

I'm not going to lump all TV reporters in any one bunch any more than I would newspaper reporters.
    Look at all the plagiarism instances we've discussed on here. There's lazy assholes on both sides of the fence and hard workers on both sides. During my stay in my town, countless TV folks have come and gone. Most were quite good at their jobs and did a nice job giving us credit for something when it was deserved. A few were and are like these tools.

We shoulda given them this kind of Danza slap!

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Well, isn't that an oversimplification of grand proportions.

I don't understand the problem. If someone else does the work, attribute it. It's not a difficult concept. If one of my writers steals information. I have no choice but to fire him/her. That much is understood.

Does that happen in television?

6. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I see this every day, and I am tired of the print industry being railroaded by TV and radio folks.

I hate to keep harping about this...

But what do you expect when you're giving away your news in the middle of the day? It's another example of what a knucklehead idea it is to give away the news on Web sites.

7. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

We all know the answer to that. And as several people have said on this thread, there are good journalists who work in television. Elliotte, you're one of them.

Which makes it even stranger that you'd have any problem with anyone being outraged by the hordes of lazy worthless thieving hacks who work in small-market local television.

8. Re: San Antonio SE slams a pop-knot on TV guys

I think the difference, Elliotte, is that when print people steal stuff, someone gets fired. When local TV or radio broadcasters steal stuff, it's perceived as accepted business practice.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Sorry fish et al,

I didn't want to give the impression I was ducking, but something else needed my attention.

Like I said, I won't defend this particular station, nor would I defend any other outlet that did anything similar. What makes me ill is that whenever something like this happens, people in print jump all over it with the usual "TV foofs steal our stuff all the time" crap. Meanwhile, two pages down, the Memphis guy comes here to complain about the Commercial-Appeal doing the exact same thing, and gets 9 replies.

(I should note that some print reporters here properly criticize the paper for doing it, but the level of indignation is much, much lower.)

It happens both ways.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Congrats to San Antonio! I might link from my blog to their web site to get them some more hits.

As far as stamping this out, every single thing I publish in my paper is copywrited. Web site or otherwise. There's one station in particular in my market that is notoriously guilty of doing the exact same thing as the San Antonio station and it pisses me off to no end.

No newspapers will do it -- mine won't -- but if newspapers would put forth a coordinated effort to stop copywright infringment by the electronic media, it would probably help.

I used this against the webmaster of my beat's message board when his posters were copy-and-pasting our stories directly off our web site. He straightened out right quick and created a policy forbidding it.

I actually think copy-and-pasted stories should be verboten here on SJ too. For all I know, they are.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Fair enough.
    But, if my writer plagiarizes or takes information from an unattributed source, it over. They're in Human Resources as soon as I have confirmation, collecting their last pay check.
    And, If I don't do that, and the story grows legs, I'm in Human Resources collecting my last check and trying to figure out where my wife and three daughters are living next. My career over.
    So, it doesn't happen both ways.

12. Elliotte Friedman

fisher,

I think you are in the minority, which is too bad. In Toronto, I've seen it happen both ways. And, I haven't seen much punishment by either side.

Draft saved Draft deleted