1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Antonio Night Editor slams a pop-knot on TV guys

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SixToe, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Re: San Antonio SE slams a pop-knot on TV guys

Some Vaseline between the cheeks helps, but in the end you usually just have to wait it out.

2. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

Love the column, but outside the business nobody cares. Certainly not the readers. They just want the news. They don't care who broke it. And if you think I'm wrong, ask them.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

What funny is when the TV hacks bitch in the newsroom about another station "stealing" their story ... nevermind they lifted it from the newspaper that morning.

4. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Unless they slap a "breaking news" tag on it, I doubt the saps at the TV station will even know about it.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I have, many times. You're wrong. Viewers don't generally like a tool. If they're called out, the ratings will reflect it.

6. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Now that's funny.

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Alma's right.

When explained, a reader or viewer would get the picture and most would agree it's not acceptable.

But a writer bitching because his pressbox seat is moved from behind home plate to the third or first base line? They don't give a shit about that. Their attitude on that? "Boo hoo hoo for the poor widdle writer who still gets in for free."

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Readers and viewers both care.
    One of the great mistakes made in the business is to assume that they don't.
    And I'm not talking about the sophisticated news consumer, I'm talking about the average reader.

9. scalper

scalper Member

Scum of the earth top five (generally speaking):
    5. Real estate agents
    4. Used car salesmen
    3. Lawyers
    2. Politicians
    1. TV "reporters"

10. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

I can accept that. Maybe our readers here are different, though, because I've had these conversations and exchanges for more than 20 years with them, and my experience has been that our readers don't care. I won't argue that it's the same for yours. I don't know. And I do agree if people are made to understand it, they'll probably at least acknowledge someone's ethical breach. It's just that here I've never encountered a reader who cared at all other than to know the news.

11. WScribblySh

WScribblySh Member

You mean "Shameless youth sport coaches who want 20 inches written on their U-8 division-winning team" don't crack the top five?

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i guess i'm lucky that in my town, they always seem to give me credit

Draft saved Draft deleted