1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Antonio Night Editor slams a pop-knot on TV guys

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SixToe, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Re: San Antonio SE slams a pop-knot on TV guys

The TV folk are absolutely in the wrong on this one, and few if anyone outside their newsroom would defend them. That said, is this the best tact to respond? I understand the man's frustration, but it read like a transcript from a J.T. The Brick rant.

I smell a sissy slapfight a'brewin'.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

You think TV folks have a problem with this? Try the sports radio yakkers.

And I happen to think there are plenty of good TV journalists -- Hi, Luggy -- but the one bad apple ...

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

This has been an increasingly frustrating topic for me...I switched to news in September and frequently scoop the radio station...

The problem is, of course, that the radio news guy reads my stories during his second news shift of the morning, never giving the proper source...

The jerk even had the gall to 'compliment' me on how good a job I was doing a few months after I started in news

"You do a great job, and I can trust what you do enough to know that I can read anything I missed on air and know you got it right..."

Fucker.

4. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

I used to get this in news a lot...one of my co-workers once called the local ABC affiliate and said, "You know, if you're going to steal my story, at least get it right!"

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

We've lived this, too.

I am so glad that story was written.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Two points...

1. Newspapers have to do this every single time in happens. The editors need to be as vigilant about this as some person is vigilant about picking apart a Michael Moore movie. TV stations only do it because newspaper editors don't jump down their throat nearly enough.

2. If the Express-News has any reporters appearing on radio or TV shows anywhere, anytime or for any reason, then, well, this is a nice diatribe, but sorta beside the point. You have to get your reporters off other media outlets. Period.

7. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

I thought the SE was out of line. We're all journalists and in this together.

Ah, just kidding. Good for him. Need more slap-downs like that.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I would agree, but I'm afraid the ship has long since sailed on that.

9. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Electronic guys lifting our stuff happens to all of us all the time. But there must be an especially egregious history of this in San Antonio with this station, as the piece suggests, for the E-N to go off like it did. So I'm tickled the paper called them out.

My only nit are the "Laughable Larry", "Greggy" and "Davey" references. The point can be (and was) made without the junior-high namecalling.

10. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

If you're the TV station in question, how, if at all, do you respond to this?

11. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

By continuing to do what you've been doing, perhaps.

12. chazp

chazp Active Member

Is it just me, or was Pils throwing haymakers? Damn. Great for him!

Draft saved Draft deleted