1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Antonio Night Editor slams a pop-knot on TV guys

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SixToe, Jul 10, 2007.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Good for Pils. More of these should be written when appropriate.

www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA070807.02C.COLpils.page2.367bcd1.html

The Associated Press gave us credit. Heck, even ESPN.com, the self-proclaimed worldwide leader in what we do, gave us credit.

But not KSAT.

So, without further ado ... a missive from the sports editor's office:

"We have breaking news!" KSAT's Larry Ramirez shouted, almost elevating to his tippy-toes in his own excitement. "Apparently, the Seattle SuperSonics have hired P.J. Carlesimo as their next head coach!! And I'm sure we'll have much more on this at 10 p.m."

What Laughable Larry didn't tell people who were watching his telecast on July 3 was that the "breaking news" he worked so hard to get was taken directly off the San Antonio Express-News Web site. And he delivered on his promise. He did have much more at 10 p.m., after the Express-News posted many more details online.

This, unfortunately, has become standard practice at KSAT, where Ramirez, Greg Simmons and David Sears are more comfortable deceiving their viewers than they are practicing real journalism. Real journalism would entail developing sources and contacts, doing a little work on your own. Apparently that's too complicated for this trio.

The Carlesimo "exclusive" is just the latest in a long list of stories that KSAT's sports guys have stolen from the Express-News. They dance around the ethical issues surrounding this practice by using terms like "KSAT 12 has learned" and "KSAT 12 has confirmed."

The Radio/Television News Directors Association's Code of Ethics practically begs electronic journalists to "... clearly disclose the origin of information and label all material provided by outsiders." And the Society of Professional Journalists' code is even more direct: "Never plagiarize," it says.

We can be thankful that other local sports personalities — Don Harris and David Chancellor at WOAI and Joe Reinagel and Bob Ballou at KENS — give proper credit when credit is due. They correctly source the Express-News or other media outlets when necessary.

But Larry, Greggy and Davey have set a whole new standard for laziness, thievery and ineptness. And until the three stooges at KSAT man up and admit they are incapable of doing their own reporting, we'll recognize them as journalism miscreants, a species that some day, hopefully, will become extinct.

2. Re: San Antonio SE slams a pop-knot on TV guys

Wow. Nice.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Re: San Antonio SE slams a pop-knot on TV guys

What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

As Molly Ivins (RIP) would say: "Good on him."

5. TX Writer

TX Writer Member

Good for him. I have a feeling that too many TV stations get away with that.

6. Re: San Antonio SE slams a pop-knot on TV guys

[​IMG]

"Is Douglas Pils gonna have to choke a b****?"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

BOOM! goes the dynamite.

I have a new hero in the biz.

8. Re: San Antonio SE slams a pop-knot on TV guys

i freaking love it

9. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

I'm putting that guy on my Christmas card list.

10. Maniacal1

Maniacal1 New Member

"Without further ado [sic]" Mercy!

11. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

That happens way, way too much. Just happened to me the other day, in fact. The sad thing is that many of these TV foofs have no fucking clue what they're doing is beyond wrong.

12. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

It's ridiculous how much it happens and how much the TV sports people get away with. I know at a paper in the Midwest I used to work for, we broke stories all the time and put them onine. Next thing you know, the TV guys have "breaking news" and say "(TV station) has learned" or "according to (TV station) sources, we have learned. They learned to read the stories online. They don't care about giving credit to anyone and they don't do any work. It's bullshit. But it's not going to stop, especially the more the newspapers go on the web.

Draft saved Draft deleted