1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sammy Baugh - RIP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dude, Dec 17, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Oh my God. One of the pioneers of today's NFL.

RIP to a legend.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Piggybacking this one ...

'Gola, one need not be old to understand what Baugh meant to the NFL, to the Washington Redskins, to sports as a whole. Any football history book that is worth its salt should have more than a passing mention of Sammy Baugh.

If the Redskins can point to a single player that made them relevant in D.C., it was Baugh. Without question.

3. jps

jps Active Member

no defense ... baugh played at sweetwater hah, if I recall correctly.

4. forever_town

Obviously, I wasn't old enough to have been around to watch him play, but I remember owning Redskins media guides from 1974 and 1988 and seeing Baugh's name littered all over the team's passing records. He made an indelible mark on the Redskins, as several people on this thread noted.

Until Darrell Green had his No. 28 officially retired, the only Redskin to have had his number retired was Baugh. There's a damn good reason no Redskin will ever wear No. 33 again. Nor should one.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I will confess to not knowing he was still alive.

What a legend. Hope the last game he watched wasn't Redskins-Bengals.

6. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Met him on numerous occasions and drank with him (and about a dozen others) once. As much fun in real life as he was in NFL Films lore.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Ok, y'all are right, 'gola's a dumbass. ;)

It's weird to see "Rotan" in print. I once had a very nice lady friend from there and had never heard any mention of the town before or since.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

From the AP story:

Baugh was known to make blunt, witty remarks.
    After the Redskins’ 73-0 loss to the Chicago Bears in the 1940 championship, a writer asked if the outcome would have been different had an end not dropped an early touchdown pass.
    “Yeah,” drawled Baugh. “It would have been 73-7.”

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

In work-related news, why is there not a photo of him throwing the ball on the wire?

10. forever_town

They didn't invent photography when he played?

JUST KIDDING!

I think there's one with the story on The Washington Post's Web site.

11. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This is an AP photo off the Washington Post's site.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

There's a wider version of that photo on the AP site. It's the first one they sent.

Draft saved Draft deleted