1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Same team?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, Feb 5, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Did anyone happen to catch Michael Wilbon and Sally Jenkins exchanging thoughts this week about the whole Michael Phelps pot issue?

Jenkins started off with a column saying people shouldn't be so rough on the guy.
    Then, Wilbon calls Jenkins out.
    Jenkins replies with an online-only column today, calling out Wilbon and Tony K, saying Kornheiser shouldn't talk since he lit up in college, too.

Anyway, what do you people think? Should columnists at the same paper go back and forth like that? Where or when would you draw the line?

Sorry, no links. I suck.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Mariotti and Telander say yes.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Depends. Is Gregg Doyel gonna cage fight one of them?

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I have a problem with Kornheiser being called out because he had nothing to do with Wilbon's comments. Besides, he's a class act. Leave him out of it.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Why not? Sharing opinions with your co-workers is not a requirement of the job, I don't think. I didn't read any of the columns in question. If they were done professionally, why would it be an issue?

6. JackReacher

I agree, mostly. I also think it seems a bit "me, me, me" when columnists call out their co-workers in back-to-back-to-back columns. That's all.

And Jenkins included Tony K in her second column because he apparently took her to task on the Post's online Talking Points video thingy, which he does with Wilbon.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Different than print, I know ... but we not only accept these, we encourage them and have a lot of fun with them.

If your attitude is "it's business, not personal" ... they work great.

8. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I think sonner should be called out for leaving the biz for a cushy desk job.

9. JackReacher

Get in line, sucka!

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Back in the day, Jerry Green and Joe Falls would have emphatically said yes.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Tony K. accepted a buyout from The Washington Post, so he's technically no longer on "the same team."

If I were their SE, I'd tell 'em they're welcome to refute each other's arguments, but they're not welcome to take potshots at each other in print because it looks juvenile.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't mind a discussion/argument that does a good job at expressing different points of view. But as we've seen in the political argument, when the sides start arguing about different things or deviating from the issue to the person making the opposing arguments, the audience is not being served.

Draft saved Draft deleted