1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

same song, different artists

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Apr 26, 2007.

1. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Rock And Roll All Night (Kiss, Poison, Toad The Wet Sprocket)

add Dave Matthews to All Along the Watchtower

Hurt (Johnny Cash, NIN)

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Best cover of the oft-covered "Suspicious Minds"?
    Waylon Jennings and Jessi Colter take first prize, but if you're feeling 80s New Wave, Fine Young Cannibals do a rockin' version.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

One of the things I love about iTunes is being able to look for covers of some of the great songs. Sometimes you stumble on some great stuff, like Annie Lennox's version of Whiter Shade of Pale.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

GREAT thread idea.

Off the top of my head, on my ipod...

I have all three watchtowers (one of two DMB songs I have -- the other also a cover of Long Black veil, which I also have Cash and Willie Nelson doing).

Redemption Song (Marley, Cash and Joe Strummer) -- In fact, I've got all the Cash covers, including a badass version of He Stopped Loving Her Today.

All the Pearl Jam covers of the Who, as well as Eddie standing in for Jim Morrison at the Doors RRHOF induction ceremony.

Just about all the incestous outlaw country covers, including the immortal Kristofferson song with the chorus that goes:

If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothing wrong/

Now we're in this gig together boys, so lets settle down and steal each others songs.

But my all time favorite and most obscure -- live version of Pearl Jam doing Springsteen's One Step Up.

5. writing irish

All that Pearl Jam stuff sounds awesome.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I have to say this next part quietly, or Fenian will kick my ever-loving ass:

I have 12-13 versions of them doing Baba O'Riley, and they own that fucking song. Just own it.

7. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Done even better by Kermit The Frog.

Also, White Stripes did a mean version of Dolly's 'Jolene'.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

One of the most interesting instances of this was "How Do I Live" in 1997.

Lee Ann Rimes recorded it for the movie "Con Air" ... but the producers chose Trisha Yearwood's version instead ... but Rimes' version set a record for the most weeks spent on the Billboard Top 100.

9. writing irish

I got a feelin' inside, but, can't explain.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I probably have five versions of Sunday Morning Coming Down.

Kristofferson, Cash, Nelson, Haggard and Waylon.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

I got about a dozen, too. Other than the original intro to the song, which I love, I prefer the PJ version.

And the recent cover of Love Reign O'er Me, which is on the soundtrack for the new Adam Sandler/Don Cheadle film, is very, very good.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted