1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

same song, different artists

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Otis does an awesome version of "Satisfaction" and probably the definitive version of Sam Cooke's "Shake" (particularly live).

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Orville, poor misguided soul. Better than the originals? Now way in freaking hell. I've never heard a GnR cover I've liked better than the original. I thought they ruined Knockin' and Live and let Die was just too ordinary.

And singing well is highly overrated. Dylan can't sing, but it works. Neil Young's voice leave a lot to be desired but it works. The big, booming voice just irritates me most of the time. Eddie Vedder impersonaters (but not Vedder hemself), Sebsationa Bach, Ronnie James Dio. My God, are those people awful.

Give me an average singer with a good tune and I'm good to go. Just carry a tune, you don't have to be Placido Domingo to be good.

Now, Neko Case doing about any cover I can live with.

3. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Singing well is highly overrated?

You must be one of the Sanjaya voters on American Idol.

4. Immigrant Song -- (Led Zeppelin) -- The Tin Men.

Washboard of the gods!

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Here are the doubles from my iTunes:

Amazing Grace - Tori/Ani
    Darling Nikki - Prince/Foo Fighters
    Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac/Clerks Soundtrack
    Hurt - NIN/Cash/Tori
    Landslide - Fleetwood Mac/Tori/Dixie Chicks/Sarah McLaughlin/Smashing Pumpkins
    One - U2/Cash
    Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana/Tori
    Sunday Bloody Sunday - U2/Pearl Jam
    Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd/Fred Durst & Johnny Reznik

I've got a lot of unlabeled Tori, and she does a lot of covers, so I'm sure there's more.
    Thunder Road - Springsteen/Tori

6. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I recently put together a mix CD for this lovely young lady that had a lot of covers on it

"Whole Lotta Love" Tina Turner (Led Zeppelin)
    "Honky Tonk Women" The Pogues (Rolling Stones)
    "All That Heaven Will Allow" The Mavericks (Springsteen)
    "Cinnamon Girl" Radiohead (Neil Young)
    "Wonderwall" Radiohead (Oasis)
    "After the Gold Rush" Thom Yorke (Neil Young)

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Radiohead covered Wonderwall? That's just wrong...

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The Springsteen mentions remind me of three of my fave covers of Boss songs:

"Reason To Believe" by the Beat Farmers, "Fire" by Robert Gordon (apparently written for Elvis, I could easily see him singing this) and "From Small Things (Big Things One Day Come)" by Dave Edmunds.

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

This board never ceases to amaze me. A Beat Farmers reference! That album also had a great version of the Velvets' "There She Goes."

10. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

The cover is more of a dis. Thom Yorke kind of snarls the first verse.

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

Time Is On My Side: Irma Thomas and the Rolling Stones. Irma Thomas was the original and it is an incredible recording... The Stones' version is great but Irma Thomas is even better.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Not as bad as Fred Freaking Durst covering Wish You Were Here. Did Nookie boy know Syd Barrett too? That's a song that probably shouldn't be covered.

Draft saved Draft deleted