1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Same Sex Couple Intro'd On Disney Channel Sitcom

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Jan 29, 2014.

1. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Slight threadjack here. We just had our first wedding announcement for a gay couple (two men) who married in New York but live here in good o'l Mississippi (yes, we have gays here, shocking, I know).

Not a peep from the readership so far, but that may change now that a letter to editor ran today praising the paper for "having the guts to run it." Hell, it was a paid announcement, why wouldn't we run it?

2. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Most straight couples are ugly too.

I'll be honest: I really don't enjoy watching two guys make out. It makes me feel the same way as when I watch an unattractive straight couple make out. I'm talking on screen. Think Shallow Hal. Is this offensive? I wouldn't admit it without anonymity. For what it's worth, all heavy PDAs make me uncomfortable, regardless of orientation.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Sorry, man, but you're making the same inane statement. Just because something is "seen in real life" doesn't mean it should be acceptable on children's television.

Pick a different approach and I wouldn't argue with you at all. Hell, you could say, "it's legal in a growing number of states" and I wouldn't quibble at all with that approach.

But in the end this is just one more thing that people will talk and browbeat each other to death over, so who really gives a shit?

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You should watch "Small Town Gay Bar." It's a documentary. Very enlightening.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_Town_Gay_Bar

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Sophia the First comes from a broken family.

Doc McStuffins is a female, black doctor.

Anna saved Elsa, not a prince, and Anna chose saving Elsa over everything else, including a prince. Elsa has also shown no desire to be with a man. Her "powers" could very easily be seen as a symbol for being gay.

Brave did not need a prince (I know, Pixar at the time, but she is under the Disney umbrella right now).

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Everything that's "seen in real life" is exactly the same as everything else that's "seen in real life."

Gay couples marrying, adults killing each other with guns. Kids selling lemonade, teens selling meth.

All should be treated the exact same way.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Have the gay mafia claimed Elsa yet, the way they did Merida and Bert and Ernie? :D

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm sure those shows are already on somebody's shit list due to the sorcery in them.

And you are now on mine because I've now got "Time For A Check Up" stuck in my head.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

In people are just the worst news: It seems the 5 year old star of the show has been getting death threats since the lesbian couple made their appearance.

http://www.avclub.com/article/someone-sent-death-threats-to-a-5yearold-disney-st-107602

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

When did we reach a point where this sort of stuff is not only tolerated, but seemingly promoted like some sort of badge of honor?

I really have no interest in regulating every detail of someone's life, but when you start pushing that crap in my face, well.... don't be shocked when I push back. I do not spend my time or thoughts dwelling on such perversions.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Maybe you can see why that concerns some of us. A generation from now, when those kids become adults and have kids of their own, is this sort of behavior going to be considered "normal" and "acceptable"?

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Nothing TV does really surprises me anymore. I don't watch hardly anything except sports, news and, occasionally Law & Order. TV is pretty much a reflection of the cesspool that society as a whole has become.

Draft saved Draft deleted