1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Same Paper - Gundy In/Gundy Out

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think national guys often have an advantage in stories like this. They can better work both angles, the place making the search, and the places where the candidates are employed currently.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

At my shops past and present, reporters needed approval to cite unnamed sources, even on social media.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

2? Or could they get by with one?

Did the editor have to know the source(s)?

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Yes, the editor had to know the identity of the source(s). Then, the editor made the call. And yes, sourcing is/was rejected frequently.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep, same here. Unnamed sources were a big no-no. Enough to get you fired if the boss was a bad mood the day it happened.

So much of this "reporting" has become like pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey. Throw stuff up against the wall and see if it sticks.

I got caught up in this a couple of years ago. Three days after NAIA team wins national championship, rumor gets out that our coach is interviewing for a D-I job. SE/beat writer is out of town, so I try to do something. I make calls, no answer. talk to the guy at the paper in the D-I town, he's clueless, too. Talk to our AD, he hasn't heard anything. I put something together very short, very vague saying that "there is speculation".

Coach is a god in our town after 6 NAIA national titles. So it would be HUGE news if he left.

Turns out nothing happens. Run into said coach at a hockey game a month later and he asks me why I wrote that. I told him I had to write "something" and wished he had returned my phone call. I felt humiliated.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

There may be more bad information published chasing coaching rumors than anything else.

Often it's crap supposedly passed on by some "big-money booster" who reads the same message boards as everyone else for his info.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Agreed. And given the dick-measuring contest that is college football's fund-raising operation, it's easy and very tempting for a minor booster to sell himself as a major booster.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep. That and recruiting.

9. writingump

writingump Member

To me, it's another example of why if I have to choose between the two, I'd rather be slow and right than first and wrong.

10. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Reckless, non-judicious use of Twitter causes problems. Don't blame the medium for foolish decisions by humans.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Norrin, dealing with human error is the number one cross to bear in every editor's life. A medium that gives error a chance to flourish in a new space is not going to be welcome by editors. Don't criticize anyone for exercising their God-given right to vent on the Internet

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The downside of this is that Wally's ego will only get larger. And he'll continue to suck at life.

Draft saved Draft deleted