1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Same Paper - Gundy In/Gundy Out

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You can't run every tweet by the SE, but I would think you would with something like this.

Wouldn't you want something to link to send traffic to your paper's site?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I realize Twitter is here to say. All my crew uses it, regularly. So do I. So does our "section" with an account. I just wish it hadn't been invented because it causes lots of problems. This is one. Is John Wooden dead yet? Dan Wheldon? It was a FULL DAY before I knew congresswoman Giffords was NOT dead. Rush rush rush to get it first. How 'bout we get it right before we get it first? Twitter has led to more irresponsible journalism than anything else.

But, yes, it ain't going away.

So is Gundy the coach or not?

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If you followed Will McAvoy's Twitter account, you'd have known she wasn't dead.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I agree, but shouldn't this be on Journalism topics only?

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Probably

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Forde reports it's Bret Bielema:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--sources--arkansas-to-hire-bret-bielema-195732340.html

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd say Forde won this round, with Wally Hall a distant second.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

On the other hand, the newspaper doesn't get a lick of traffic if you don't link to a story and get readers to bite.

If you are not linking to content on the website, Twitter is really only good for building the brand of the reporters and columnists.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Right. One thing our social media editors stress is teaser-style tweets. You need to get people to click the links.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

This is an instance where Twitter is a joke. I'll wait till the press conference and then we'll know the real truth.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Amen and amen! What credibility do you have when 8 out of 10 things you say turn out not to be true?

12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Yeah. Sure, Hall technically had it right, but the "it" was who wasn't getting the job.

I'd rather have Forde who gets name of the actual coach a couple of hours later. That's the news.

How badly does it reflect on the local newspaper guys, to have a Yahoo! national guy (though one with much respect and great sources) swoop in and break the story on their home turf while they are Tweeting about who isn't getting the job?

Draft saved Draft deleted