1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Same freelance story for two papers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by IllMil, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't mind if I know what I am getting into when hiring someone. I know some freelancers salivate at covering festivals or track meets or something where they can string for multiple papers but they don't tell the papers that.

I want to know if I am paying for a stringer's undivided attention or if I think they are stretching themselves too thin.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What's the difference between using the AP and McClatchy, or using a freelancer whose stuff may appear in different papers? Is it just that a shop doesn't know that up front? I guess one way of covering that situation is making sure it's in a standard freelance agreement.

For myself, I had one situation where a paper wanted me to do a story and not cover the game for anyone else. Had to turn it down since it didn't make sense to drop a regular gig for 25 more bucks on one game.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Non-competing papers, what's the difference?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The difference could be concerns that you are second on the pecking order in getting the story on time on deadlines -- concerns that the writer is spreading himself too thin and might be in the other locker room instead of yours, etc.

If I was satisfied on those counts, I wouldn't care unless the writer was filing basically the same story to a nearby competitor.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The difference was they asked if I was covering the game for anyone else and if so, couldn't cover the game for them. I won't break an agreement, but if there is no previous arrangement, I shouldn't be prohibited from selling my work as I see fit.

I haven't run into deadline pressure either, except when the main paper I string for arranged for me to cover the game for the road team's paper. With that, the baseball game went to 12 innings. But since I was asked to do it by my paper, I didn't feel like I was screwing them over even if I was pressed for time.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I've done it for an afternoon college football game.

I sent several queries, got a bite and accepted it.

I then got a second, from the other side of the state.

I asked the first editor, and he said, "Write ours first, and it's fine."

There were different, because each paper had specific kids they neded something on, I think.

7. fl2010

fl2010 New Member

My question on this topic, and I don't think it's been directly answered yet -

do you have an obligation to tell both papers even if you write different stories?

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I would.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't think so. If an editor has a problem with that, they can ask upfront.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

maybe.

11. You can always ask them beforehand if they have a preference. I imagine some editors would care and others wouldn't and most wouldn't mind as long as they get theirs' first.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Forget the deadline pressure or spreading yourself too thin or whatever. Let's put this squarely on what doing work for two papers -- writing the same story -- might do to you. If you're not up front and your "regular" editor finds out you double-dipped, he could stop hiring you. I think it's best to tell everyone involved, ask them if they want a different spin and assure them they'll get it as their deadline.

I just think it's better business for you in the long run to be upfront. Even if the editors don't give a shit, it certainly won't make you look bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted