1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Same freelance story for two papers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by IllMil, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

WB - yes, he could get bought out if he pulled such a stunt.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

he's a multi-faceted service if he's covering the game for more than one person.

3. nah, that's the same service for two people for double the cost.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what's ap charging these days?

5. I wouldn't know.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Sometimes I haven't signed agreements. Or with others, I own the rights after 24 hours. Some just own the rights in the market. It depends on what you sign. When I have double-dipped, I recast the material anyway for the paper I'm writing for. And that's been for stories where the first paper actually set up the stringing gig with another.

7. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Work the same gig for two (sometimes more) non-competing clients? Many, many times....turn in the same story to each. Absolutely never....

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Conceivably. However, you need to let both papers know that you are working for more than one paper.

If they came to you and agreed to it and know what they are getting -- they know you have to file on deadline for Paper X first because you already agreed to do it -- you are fine.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Honestly, if you really don't think you can crank out two different stories on deadline, I would let Paper No. 2 at least know what the deal is.

If they say they don't care, then there you have it.
    If they say they do care, then there you have it.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

On tight deadlines, I have used the same format to help with the time and double-dipped on quotes, but they were different stories.
    It can get a little confusing, especially if you are triple dipping, but it can be done.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Do the papers know you are double or triple dipping?

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Most of the time.
    Some places around my parts won't give you a byline if they know it is a double-dip.
    So I become press services or it gets thrown into a roundup.
    For me, the chances of doing two or more stories isn't very high. Usually it is high school game coverage or a college tournament.

Draft saved Draft deleted