1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sam Zell tells Orlando Sentinel photog: F%#k you.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Simon_Cowbell, Feb 4, 2008.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

What does the public want from newspapers:

Sex
    Violence to others
    Moral Outrage to feel superior to others
    Sex
    Gossip
    Sex
    Local Teams win
    Tips on getting more sex
    The Market went up

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I too am a Zell employee. Some of you have figured that out over the posts.
    I've had the unfortunate experience in my 19 years in this business of working for some of the cheapest misers to put an uppercase to newsprint. Jack Kent Cooke. Dean Singleton. Tribune. I've been to the otherside, too. Working for one of the great newspaper families, too.
    In 19 years, I've had to interview for my own job, then accept a 12% pay reduction the same year I received all exemplary marks on my review.
    In the same 19 years, I received two raises in one year.

mike311gd typed out of place, unfortunately. A throw-away line that's accepted on the Anything Goes board. But, strikes close to home on a professional board. He's a kid. Still wide-eyed and unaware of picture past his next job. We've all been there.

Zell holds an opportunity. The papers in his control are still respected, strong, profit-making... For now. He has a window. A window to get this turned around. oldpaint is right, if this man -- call him what you will -- fails, his failure will be not only my failure, but yours.

There are no more Chandlers. No more Bancrofts. The Ridders are gone. McClatchy in deep trouble. There is immense pressure the Ochs-Sulzbergers. In the next five years, the creditors will come calling for Singleton.

That leaves a well-diversified Graham Family. Their newsgathering empire won't grow past their paper and website. They're too smart to let that happen.

The future of our business may hinge on the very guy we love to denigrate. God help us.

3. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Don't forget the puppies.

Readers want puppies. Maybe.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

See, you guys are stuck on "puppies." It's "puppies" to a businessman speaking off the cuff in a Q&A session.
    But, it's easily translated. It was a fucking euphemism.
    We lost touch with our readers. We've eliminated the parts of the paper readers found useful. The utilitarian aspects of each edition. The stock tables. Long boxscores. Movie listings. National statistics. Whatever they may be. "Puppies."
    His point is we need to find more of what they want, less of what we think they want. Sell that, so we can afford more of what we think they want.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think "puppies" is a euphemism for soft features -- not stock tables and big box scores. Those are "space eaters."

7. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Hope to hell that's not the first step toward advocating killing kittens.

8. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I think fishwrapper offers some great insight into some of what's ailing the newspaper industry. At the same time, I'm not sure Sam Zell is the person to lead the way to the promised land. The first thing you need to do is get your people to buy your message. In my experience, cursing someone in front of his peers doesn't open ears.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Oooohhh, don't tell our baseball apologists about how rich guys shouldn't be hemorrhaging money in a business.

Also, Sagan never said "billions and billions"

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Add:

A crossword appropriate for the paper's broad demo.

And a wide, diversified selection of comic strips.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

And now Sam Zell tells some Tribune HR, finance, legal and corporate staffers the same thing: F%#K YOU!!!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-thu_trib0207feb07,0,6866311.story

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I've dealt with Tribune human resources, in my time.

The . . . deadest . . . of . . . weight.

Draft saved Draft deleted