1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sam Smith: Nothing to see here, folks!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Jul 23, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

I know, but I'm just saying some call that got blown on that level of a game, no one assumed that he was, just that he was a bad ump that night.
    I just hope that this doesn't leave the other refs with a black mark.

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I think it's the same in any profession that has credibility issues. Plagiarism cases don't exactly make the rest of us look better, even if it's something 99 percent of us would never even consider doing.

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Salary isn't the issue. Established NBA refs make anywhere from 100K to 250K. They have no off-season jobs other than to improve as referees. It is their full-time profession.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know how the NBA gets around this. Sure home-team bias plays into perceptions, but I've watched games without a (sorry Mike V.) dog in the fight and been stunned by the calls, the no-calls and lack of consistency in the officiating.
    If this means refs are going to start calling fouls regardless of the name on the front or back of a player's jersey - it might be a good start. The league should also do a better job explaining their calls after they are called. People still remember the Joey Crawford hatchet-job on Tim Duncan. And he wasn't fixing games (I guess) and was/is viewed as an esteemed official.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Smith's piece reminds me of Pete Vecsey on NBC dismissing out of hand any importance of Michael Jordan out late gambling in Atlantic City the night before a playoff game against the Knicks.

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Several Chicago Tribune people took buyouts, including Sam Smith.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/columnists/chi-tribune-phil-rosenthal-column-080316,0,2195030.column

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wow, talk about a buried note. LOVE though how the writer got in a subtle dig by noting the newsroom was losing "centuries of experience." That ain't replaceable, Tribune.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

One more time . . . ?

9. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

Teddy Greenstein has some more on Smith's departure...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/cs-080319-greenstein-gus-johnson-cbs-ncaa,1,406058.column

Jerry Krause once sent NBA reporter Sam Smith business cards with the title of "Monday morning general manager."

Too bad our favorite GM didn't sign himself to a 20-year extension. Instead Smith has decided to take a voluntary buyout, which will end his 28-year run at the Tribune on April 1.

The paper will lose one of its most opinionated and authoritative voices, our cross between Larry David and Red Auerbach.

"I don't think I've ever worked with a reporter who had a better command of his beat than Sam had," said Dan McGrath, the Tribune's associate managing editor for sports. "There are people running NBA teams who don't know the league or the game as well as Sam does."

10. Damn, didn't realize Smith was leaving. Not good for the Trib.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I wonder if he'll end up at ESPN. He was an occasional contributor to ESPN.com, IIRC.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Maybe the Chicago Tribune can trade Sam Smith and teddy Greenstein . . . um . . .to espn.com for Gene Wojechowski and Jemele Hill.

Don't be surprised if the Trib is considering Sam Smith for both Scoop Jackson and Bill Simmons.

Draft saved Draft deleted