1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sam Smith: Nothing to see here, folks!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Jul 23, 2007.

1. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Sam throws a bunch of crap against the wall and hopes some sticks. That's his modus operandi.

If a writer can personally "jump the shark," he did so many moons ago.

Fella needs a good editor, for ideas as much as content.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I kowtow to talent.

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

This is a case of nearly everyone being of the same opinion, so a contrarian comes along and takes the completely opposite viewpoint. Happens on this board all the time.

4. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Simmons' -- Yeah, yeah. I know. Blow me -- column about this on espn.com today was fantastic. The jokes were toned down in what amounted to an incredibly astute analysis by someone who watches a lot of NBA games. He may not cover any, but I don't think you can hold that against him in this case.

Edit: This might help: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070722

5. Kevin Morales

Kevin Morales Member

Maybe, but at least he swung. If that's what he really believes, I give him credit for writing it. I'm sure he knew he would get blasted for it.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Very strong column from Simmons, especially this part:

7. Clever username

Absolutely. That was exactly what I thought when I first heard about this. I was not surprised at all that this happened, though I had no idea who Donaghy was before this.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

May I throw this out there for your thoughts:
    Why IS this a big deal as of now? Is the NBA doing the right thing by addressing it head on tomorrow or are they just in damage control and calling too much attention to it before the courts get hold of it?
    Baseball didn't die from the Black Sox, which involved players in the World Series.
    Now, I am not saying this isn't a bad thing that happened.
    But is one person going to ruin the reputation of the entire officiating staff of the NBA?

9. Clever username

Yes.

If the mob got to one, why couldn't they have gotten to others? There have been some egregious officiating errors in the NBA the past few years. These aren't ticky-tacky fouls I'm talking about, it's a couple Don Denkingers a year.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

True, but was Denkinger ever accused of mob ties or was he just called a bad umpire at a crucial time?
    Particularly in MLB, their arrogance magnifies their errors and takes away from their performance.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The NBA is doing a better job of dealing with an integrity issue than baseball ever has.

Yeah, this is a big deal, and one man does affect the reputation of all. It doesn't cast suspicion on all NBA officials -- I truly despise a witch hunt -- but it does mean they're going to get scrutinized harder. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, because now they might get paid enough to make it their full-time profession and they will be able treat it like a full-time job.

12. Clever username

I just meant calls that were missed that badly, not to imply Denkinger was crooked.

Draft saved Draft deleted