1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sam Mitchell: COY

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SoSueMe, Apr 24, 2007.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

So, Sam Mitchell is officially the NBA's Coach of the Year.

Even as a Raps follower and fan, I'm not sold on this guy. Rumour has it a bidding war for his services could errupt between the Raps and Bobcats because Mitchell's contract expires this summer.

I think he's done good things. I think he deserves credit. But I think the East is week and a better coach could have got even more out of this team.

What coaches are available? Does anyone think Sam stays? Leaves? Will Colangelo hire his "own guy?"

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

He could be like Joe Girardi -- honored for his work, then immediately canned.

I wouldn't be shocked, given how Maurizio Gherardini has greased the path from Bennetton Treviso to Toronto, if the next coach is a Euro. Probably Ettore Messina or Zelimir Obradovic, two coaches Gherardini named on his blog as among the best coaches he ever dealt with in Europe (Mike D'Antoni was the third). Although if any Raptors thought Sam Mitchell got too intense, they're going to be shocked by either of those guys. Especially Obradovic, who I believe melted down after his Serbian team had a disappointing finish in the 2006 worlds. If they keep the Italian connection but go for a coach with U.S. experience, it's Marc Iavaroni.

However, none of them wears a suit as well as Mitchell.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Quite a reversal of fortune for a guy who a year ago was lucky to even have a job.

I don't know how he is now, but I dealt with him a few times back when he was an assistant and he was a pretty good guy.

4. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

I'm not saying Mitchell didn't do an awesome job and doesn't deserve it.

But I have to wonder when Jerry Sloan will finally get his due. The guy is easily the best coach never to win the award.

I wonder if the Jazz had finished stronger if he would have won it. He was only about 90 votes behind Mitchell.

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Sloan is taxed by having to play in the West. Mitchell reaps the benefits of having to play in the East.

6. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

Good point.

There's no secret that a young Jazz team wore down toward the end of the season.

Of course, Sloan should have won the award long ago, say like 1997-98 when the Jazz had the best record in the league.

Oh well.

7. celtics_apologist

celtics_apologist New Member

Sam Mitchell might be in the running for Most Improved Coach, but not COY. I'd give it to Sloan.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I was amused disgusted to see some doofus gave Isaiah Thomas a third place vote. Sheesh.

9. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Being from Canada, I am really happy that the Raptors were somehow rewarded for the season that they had. However, I would say that Bryan Colangelo has more to do with the success of the Raptors than Mitchell did. Colangelo put together a new and improved team and deserves the credit. Mitchell's days were numbered last season. Colangelo should be GM of the year for his work.

However, I am happy that the Raptors have made the playoffs for the first time in five years and it would be quite the "cinderella" story if they go really deep in the playoffs.

10. EE94

EE94 Guest

The GM provides the parts, the coach has to make them work.
    Mitchell took a roster that was completely over-hauled, had numerous language and cultural differences and made them cohesive. Also, there was no whining this year, even from a Morris Peterson who was relegated to the bench.
    Mitchell did a hell of a job, you have to give him credit

11. leo1

leo1 Active Member

mitchell was a terrific interview when he was a player. he seemed like a stand-up guy. can anyone who still covers the NBA chime in as to whether he's still a good guy?

12. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

He's still a very good interview. He's the Wednesday morning guest every week on the FAN590 in Toronto, and has a hell of a lot of fun with the two hosts. They don't know a heck of a lot about basketball and Mitchell lets them know that every chance he gets.

Draft saved Draft deleted