1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sam Fuld: Saber-geek

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Pretty cool story.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/20/sports/baseball/20fuld.html?_r=1

Fuld once interned for Stats, LLC, and was pursuing a masters degree in ... wait for it ... statistics at Stanford.

I love the bit about him shouting out batting averages and such from his little stat book in the family car. He's one of us. The great athletes on my h.s. baseball team didn't do things like that. I did. Most of us probably did. I distinctly remember having to explain to a couple guys, star players on our team, around the batting cage one winter that walks count as earned runs. They swore I was full of shit. Then they went out and mowed guys down that spring while I tracked their pitches.

2. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

The differences are:

(1) He plays, so he understands the game.

(2) If he was pursuing a master's degree in statistics, then he actually knows how they work.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Some seer should try and come up with a kind of WAR stat for managers.

Forget fielding, that is the next frontier.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Comment on a Cubs message board in reference to this article:

Any player whose value "goes beyond numbers" is 98% likely to be white, and 99% likely to need a booster seat when going out to eat.

5. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

I love this argument so very much. So very much. It's always wrong, and, yet, someone always, always uses it.

6. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

A 30-year-old major league player doesn't understand the game? Beg to differ.

And I guarantee he understands the game better than people who, based on stats, think a batter should take every pitch until he gets one he can "hit hard." That could be the dumbest statement ever about baseball.

7. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Some big league players understand the game. Some are just genetic freaks blessed with the ungodly hand-eye coordination needed to hit a profssionally pitched baseball. Either way, it's a specious argument. It's "never played the game" nonsense. As to your other little bit of crazy -- and I have no idea where it comes from, nor do I care -- I am pretty sure waiting for a pitch you can drive is a concept that's been around since Babe Ruth and Ted Williams was a pretty big proponent, as well. It's not a sabremetric concept.

8. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

If you're arguing that Sam Fuld is a genetic freak, then you are the one being crazy, my friend.

Rail against it all you want, but the statement I mentioned is one of the craziest ones ever made about baseball. Most, if not all, hitters will rarely have the option of consistently taking pitches until they see one they like.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Never mind all of the stat geek stuff. There one thing that made me a fan of him when he was playing in AAA:

...he's playing major league baseball...as a Type I diabetic.

I volunteer for the local American Diabetes Assn chapter and we were begging the Iowa Cubs to have Fuld participate in one of our events, when he was with the Cubs.

The I-Cubs GM, who's also a diabetic, said no. I was disappointed, because I was pushing to get him involved before he got called up.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If I can pull up a quote from a MLB player, are you going to be forced to agree?

11. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

No, because I'm sure I could find about a dozen where players discuss hitting philosophies, and none of them remotely discusses taking every pitch until he gets one he can "hit hard."

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Okay. Let's see them.

Draft saved Draft deleted