1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Salt Lake Tribune, winter sports/Olympics/MLS

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Provonian

Provonian New Member

Naturally, something like this pops up right after I take a move to the other side of the country for grad school.

I've been angling for either one of these positions at the Trib for years, since my junior year of college, even. I figured preps was more up to my experience level, but among my ultimate goals is to cover MLS full-time. I tried for these gigs in the past, and got to the interview stage under MA ... but no dice.

Now, I'm in a one-year master's program at Syracuse, but I'm really tempted to try to try for this job. It doesn't make logical sense to me; maybe that's for the best.

Still, I hate this business sometimes. Stuff like this seems to happen far too often to me.

</end emo post>

2. the champ

the champ Member

So they had two prep guys promoted, Oram and Goon, but are looking to fill just one spot (plus the position vacated by Lewis, so three out two in total)?

3. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

As Meatloaf would say, "Three out of two ain't bad."

Wait...hold on. Let me try that one again.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So are we ripping someone for being honest about a job? Heck, I'd prefer that to the suger-coating I usually hear.

Tell me what you are wanting someone to do and I can make an honest assessment if I want it or not. Few things worse than going into a job with inflated expectations only to realize a month later the job isn't what you thought you were getting.

If someone thinks $42k is a bad salary in this economy, they are disconnected from reality.

5. Three guys were promoted

Oram went from Utah Hoops and football enterprise to the Jazz

Tony Jones went from Utah State to Utah Hoops

Kyle Goon went from Preps to Utah State

6. He's being ripped because every word in that post was off...Not only off, but horribly off to the point that he's spreading lies....So go ahead and believe it if you want...You'd be as wrong as he is

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

As for this paper I have no idea.

My point is there's nothing wrong if a manager said "OK, here's what we need someone to do and here's what we can afford to pay."

8. 1) Gutenberg applied that somebody once made 58,000 covering preps for the Tribune...lol

2) He implied that management wanted to bring in someone, not let them grow and not promote them from within....Nothing could be further from the truth

3) He implied that because management wanted to bring some in, not let them grow and not promote from within, they settled on someone "fresh out of college"....In fact, Bill Oram has proven to be one of the best young journalists in the country....

I too would have no issues if the post had some truth with it...But it's so off that it should be erased from the thread

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

$42K definitely isn't a bad salary in this economy. Plus, what is cost of living like in Salt Lake?

10. You can live pretty well in Salt Lake on 42....a three bedroom townhouse, 3,000 square feet, can be rented for as little as 1150 a month...a spouse, or a single guy with a roomate can do well

11. The original JJ post mentions circulation category, but I don't see a number listed anywhere. Anyone have that info?

12. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I received an e-mail saying the Olympics/winter sports reporter was retaining his duties, and an internal candidate would be covering Major League Soccer. That apparently means the original opening has been filled, though I don't know about the high school reporting job.

Draft saved Draft deleted