1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Salt Lake Tribune sold to Huntsman family

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JohnHammond, Apr 20, 2016.

1. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Given the Huntsman name in the area, it should be an upgrade over Digital First. I wonder if the Denver Post is being shopped as well.

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I believe the Salt Lake Tribune was owned by an investment group that obtained it from Digital First when MediaNews emerged from bankruptcy, but that Digital First continued to manage it while a buyer was sought. Not sure the Denver Post is in the same boat.

It's hard to imagine a scenario where the Huntsmans owning it isn't an upgrade.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Maybe that means his daughters will re-emerge. Just put them right in the masthead:

[​IMG]

dixiehack likes this.
  5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Newspapers are the new fashion accessory of the rich, apparently. Like Paris Hilton's pocket chihuahua.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I figured Sr. had bought it so Jr. would have steady employment.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  8. JohnHammond

Ha-ha. Just you wait. Jr. will be the GOP's white knight!

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

10. JohnHammond

Sad tale of how newspaper valuations have cratered. The Kearns family sold the paper to then-cable TV giant TCI for more than $700 million worth of TCI stock in 1997. AT&T bought TCI in 1999 and sold the paper for $200 million to MediaNews Group in 2000. The Hunstmans offered $15 million that was rejected, but I can't see the final purchase price being greater than $25-$30 million.

Draft saved Draft deleted