1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Salon's Kaufman accuses Kindred of 'ignorance'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Wendy Parker, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Except that it's not. That's the point.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wasn't saying you should do that work. I meant the original blogger, Doc.

I completely agree with you about certain beloved stats being misleading.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

maybe you should take the time to read the entire post before you chime in.

4. Regardless. My general point stands.

No one is wrong. How you appreciate and evaluate baseball might differ from my methods, and that's OK. But one side has been dedicated to shouting down all new theories and methods for years, and doing so in a much smarmier manner than Kaufman (seriously, go read some of Plaschke's thoughts on the subject). But one guy writes something overly critical of the traditional side, and it starts World War IX over here.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

if the little turd had a point, he could have made it without using DK's name ... but then again, he probably doesn't have the ability to write a column such as that without first firing a shot at somebody.

6. Being unfamiliar with Mr. Kaufman's work, I can't answer that, Mr. Petty.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it was more of a rhetorical thing, but thank you, dr. feelgood.

8. You're welcome.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Does anyone remember way back in the olden times when sports were simple productions in which one player/team tried to outperform the other by way of:

• scoring more goals/runs/points than the other player/team;
    • finishing a race faster/jumping higher or farther/throwing an object farther than your competitors;
    • completing an 18-hole round of golf by trying to accumulate a lower score than that of your competitors, or by winning a majority of those holes individually over one competitor; and
    • not delving too much into the hows/whys, but just enjoying the simplicity of it all?

Anyone else remember that? I didn't just make it all up somewhere, did I? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone? ???

10. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Good stuff, Double J. When I need an advanced degree in math to understand a game played by children, it's time to stop watching that game.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

These people are getting to the point where they just can't be taken seriously, at least not outside the cult. It's as pointless as arguing with a willful child.

It's not about their ideas anymore, but reducing everyone else (along with the sport).

Zero dexterity, minus-16 maturity, minus-64 charisma. Roll the die and get lost.

12. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

This is insane.

So, the very existence of, say, VORP, or FRAA, or WARP3, or whatever (damn computers!) renders it impossible for you to enjoy a baseball game? This is what you're saying? Really?

The increased attention paid to baseball statistics has helped many people understand the game on a deeper level. It's helped many teams become more competitive and allowed many players to be better valued for their skills. It hasn't hurt anybody. I guess it's fun to whine and complain about how NERDS!!! are ruining the game, but for the life of me I can't see how.

Draft saved Draft deleted