1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Salon's Kaufman accuses Kindred of 'ignorance'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Wendy Parker, Jan 13, 2009.

1. That stadium also happens to be an absolute dump. Worst one I've ever been in, and it's not even close. Also - horrible pizza and hot dogs. Just a brutal ballpark experience. Also, it gets COLD in the middle innings.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

In the history of professional baseball, more teams failed to get to or win a World Series (the measuring stick that proves it all, apparently) by using old-school methods than teams using these oft-discussed and oft-misunderstood most modern statistical methods of analysis and their new-school applications.

What does that prove? Nothing, I guess, except maybe that only two teams get to the World Series each year, and only one wins it.

Give me the scouts bird-dogging and road-tripping and cross-checking, and give me the nerds crunching the numbers too. Balance. As someone said, art and science. And, judgment -- trusting the eye.

If I had a team, I'd want it all.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

I wouldn't be.

"Very successful" suggests something more than zero championships, zero pennants and a 1-6 record in playoff series over the last nine years......just saying.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

With the A's, you have to grade on a different curve, and the grade despite the poor stadium, low payroll and scrub status even in their own city is pretty good under Beane.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

You can't. Most teams, in a recessionary economy trending toward depression, and with finite resources, must choose. The Boston Red Sox do not. They've integrated the stats freaks and the scouts the best.

Draft saved Draft deleted