1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Salon's Kaufman accuses Kindred of 'ignorance'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Wendy Parker, Jan 13, 2009.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

And when they start putting VORP on the Jumbotron at the park, I'll believe that this stuff is "used by a wide swath of baseball fans."

They put OPS on the jumbotron in Anaheim. Consider it a compromise.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

But OPS isn't hard to figur OBP+SlgPct = OPS.
    Can you do a VORP furmula?

3. Dumbest fucking "debate" of all time.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

What happened to runs, hits, home runs, RBI and average?

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I consider it California being its usual goofy self!

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Runs and RBI are way dependent on other members of your team.. Come on, we are still debating this stuff in 2009?

7. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Being close-minded is wrong on both sides.

Jon Heyman, for example, mocked the stat folks who said Rice's on-base percentage wasn't Hall worthy, and then admitted he didn't vote for Rice the first five years he was on the ballot. So the writer obviously saw some flaw in Rice's candidacy that was rectified with the passage of time. He changed his mind based on his own subjectivity. Is that better than relying on obscure stats?

It has gotten to the point where both sides of the numbers spectrum dismiss the other and make the entire conversation a waste of time.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Honestly, for all the statistical analysis you can do on a player, which whatever methodology you want to use, I think a front office is going to balance that with that they see and know of the player.

I think it's a little short-sighted to say that the Red Sox and Rays had success because they embraced statistical analysis. The Rays still scouted well in order to build what is now a solid team.

It's never going to be one extreme or the other, there's always going to be a mixture of the two.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Great post, there can be a balance between the two. Anyone who closes their mind on either side of the argument is ignorant.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

More likely is lot of writers disliked Rice because he could be a jerk. They might not vote for someone like him the first few times around but intend to vote for him later after he sits awhile.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I have no idea who King Kaufman is, but I'll be willing to bet he outweighs Kindred on the ignorance scale.

It's a vote. If there was one formula for determining HOF inclusion, it wouldn't be a vote, it would be a chart with E-Z Stats so everyone could see who made the cut, simple and clean, you're in, you're out. But that's not how it works. It's a vote.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Maybe a computer could spit out the HOFers for us each year?

Draft saved Draft deleted