1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Salon on Final Four media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I learned that dooley is a cheap bastard.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Brilliant kids, too. Take after their mom.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

That wasn't in the story. Stay on topic and have a nice some fanboi looser in Kansas collects seat cushions day.

I also found the story dreadfully boring. It was this close to straight transcription. I did find the story of the USA Today reporter somewhat interesting. It was also interesting the NCAA will apparently give a credential to anyone with a pulse.

Oh and Seth Davis is an ass? Who knew? Besides everyone?

4. mocheeks10

mocheeks10 Member

I could be reading a bit too much into this, but I wondered whether Doyel was taking a shot at Dick "Hoops" Weiss when he said the following:

"You see the egos walk through press rooms, and it’s like, ‘Wow, you really do think you’re Walter Payton.’ But you’re just a writer for the New York Daily News and we all know who I’m talking about. You’re just a columnist!”

Dunno Doyel at all, but I've always found Weiss to be one of the really decent people you will find in any pressroom.

5. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Was wondering who that was, too.

6. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Assumed it was Loopy. But I suppose that requires he actually leave the comfort of his couch in Connecticut.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Made it halfway through, then dozed off.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Me too. I never would have thought of Hoops or his horrid toupee.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I agree that the story itself was boring, but it shouldn't have been. With a better or more focused writer, it could have been very amusing. Instead, it's more or less a notes dump from almost-interesting interviews.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

And, yeah, I'd thought for sure that was about Loopy.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I learned that Seth is the son of Lanny Davis. That had slipped past me.

It was lots of inside baseball and I don't feel particularly enlightened.

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I liked it, because I don't know any of those people. Found it interesting (except for a weak ending). Davis really comes off as a smarmy TV guy.

Have learned, though, that a surprising number of "average" people really like this stuff. They're fascinated by the minutiae of our jobs. Get a lot of questions about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted