1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Salon.com writer: Motherhood is not a job

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Nah, I guess what it comes down to is I'm saying is that I can see both sides. The pissing match between childless people and parents is almost as loathsome as the Mommy Wars between stay-at-homes and working mothers. Or the other Mommy War between breast feeding and non-breast feeding mothers.

2. Dick Whitman

It's difficult in a different way. More tedious and patience-trying than anything. Not an intellectual challenge in the same way as rocket science or brain surgery, for sure. Which is part of the problem sometimes and what makes it difficult.

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I have a ton of respect for parents. I'm 32 and I just starting to imagine holding down two exhausting jobs with kids. Scares the hell out of me.

That tells me I'm not ready. Probably won't be.

4. Dick Whitman

I think what it comes down to is that people have little tolerance for anybody complaining about anything.

I think back to my best friend in college - and to this day. He never stopped kvetching about how busy he was, and how difficult his business major was compared to ours (I was a Journalism and English major, like most of here, probably). He would take a nap every afternoon for two or three hours, but if he'd walk in and see us watching a basketball game at night, it began: "Must be nice!" His behind-his-back nickname was "Must be nice!"

I'm running the school newspaper and carrying two majors, but my friend the business major was constantly telling me how easy I had it. I love the guy, so it was funny, but just a perfect archetype of a modern-day American who thinks he/she has the only tough go at it.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

The Salon.com writer and the U.S. Navy agree... :)

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The parenting thing has been bandied about over and over again. Parts of it are hard, parts of it you get used to. But no matter whether something is hard or what, parents who have the right perspective take it on as their responsibility, and shouldn't overly bitch or feel superior because of they do it.* For many (not all), it's a lifestyle choice.

By the same token, no one who choses the lifestyle choice of being single should feel superior or persecuted either.

Apart from that, I will say that Salon's story-to-annoyance ratio is very high in my personal rankings.

* The exception would be parents who deal with special-needs or ill children. I'm thinking lifetime special needs children, who will need day-to-day care for life. That would be very hard. I also can't imagine what it would be like to have a child with a terminal illness. I hope I never find out.

7. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I agree with you that the arguments are loathsome. Throughout my years as a mother, I have actively chosen to not get into those types of debates. In the end, the only opinion that matters to me is that of my daughter. Who cares if the rest of the world agrees with the decisions I made? If she is a success and she believes that I was s success in my role as a mother, that is all that matters to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted