1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Salon.com writer: Motherhood is not a job

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

http://www.salon.com/2012/04/27/motherhood_is_not_a_job/singleton/

[/ducking]

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Motherhood and jobs is apples and oranges. Arguing about it is like talking about politics and religion at Thanksgiving dinner. All it leads to is indigestion.

4. dmc

dmc Guest

If you are doing it the right way, it is one of the hardest things to do.

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I don't think it takes an ad to express this sentiment. Almost every parent, although they don't say it because it makes for socially awkward moments around single people, believe this is true. As a single person, I want to call that a conceit, but I'm not sure where I stand on it frankly. I don't know if one is better person because they have children. Maybe.

The Coen brothers' "A Serious Man" explored Judaism's perspective on this issue really well with the character of Uncle Arthur.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Remember the thread here years ago about the Fuck Trophies?

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm ... I'm not quite sure I would express it that way. I don't think my life is more important than that of childless people. In fact, in some ways, I think their lives can exceed mine in importance because they have more time and energy to pour into making the world a better place. I feel like having children constraints my efforts in some ways rather than elevates my existence. Of course, that's the trade off you choose, and there is so much about it that's rewarding. I wouldn't choose it any other way. But, essentially, I think it is wrong to say that parents think that they are more important than single people or that single people are lesser citizens.

Now, what do I think? I think that it is really, really, really, really hard. And I think that single or childless people - including myself a few years ago - have no clue how really, really, really, really hard it is. Not that those people haven't taken on really, really, really, really hard endeavors in their lives. Some even harder, in different ways, than child-rearing. But this is one of those things that you absolutely, 100 percent have to experience yourself to understand at all what it entails. My brother is about my age and single and childless (serious girlfriend, but no plans to get married or start a family). We're very close, but it is simply amazing how different our lives are.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

We both overvalue and devalue motherhood in this culture. The column merely points this out. Again.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

People who mock the challenge of parenthood either had shitty parents and/or are self-absorbed assholes who cannot fathom their world revolving around anyone but themselves.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Option 3: It's a defense mechanism after being told repeatedly how their lives pale in comparison.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The column in question certainly doesn't mock the challenges of parenting.

Mocking the constant overstatement of those challenges in western culture seems fair game for satire, however.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

How about raising a family, without a household staff (like Romney) and needing a paying job to support those children? THat's harder than being Ann Romeny. How about raising a special needs child, without a household staff, and having to work a fulltime paying job? THat's harder then being a stay home mommy

Draft saved Draft deleted